cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Hub is limited wifi.

magg992001
Just Moved In

The Smart Hubs are limited to wifi connections. I have a ZTE MF279T and am always struggling with having to shut off connected devices, cameras, kids devices etc. etc. 

Is there something I can do to combat this problem? 

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

magg992001
Just Moved In

In addition if there is a device that also would help with the wifi range as some areas of the home are poor connection?

The ZTE MF279T Smart hub only allows for a maximum of 20 wireless(wifi) users at any given time. And you could try Power line Ethernet to possibly extend your wireless network.

no not 20! ONLY 10 wifi connections

k2spirit839
Coach

Also another thing you could possibly do is, if you have another wireless router that has bridge mode. You could put the other wireless router into bridge mode and use that as your wireless access point and turn off wifi on your smart hub. It is possible you can get more wifi users on that way! Because it would be going through Ethernet port rather than wifi on the smart hub.

Campbellis
Just Moved In

Maximum number of wifi connections 10 🤔

greetings

my Telus 279 rural router will NOT go above 10 direct wifi connections and I have been using it for just about 60 days (new unit).
The only way to go above 10 wifi connections is to turn the Telus 279 in to a gateway and use an external router usually goes above 50.
NOT all rural homes are limited to 10 wifi connections like TELUS thinks we should have. In some cases it more the a city home PLUS to get a 279 rural router TELUS actually canceled my first try to get a router saying i have no cell connection where i am!

The zte mf279t smarthub is a duel band wifi router. So it has 2.4GHz wifi band and 5GHz wifi band. Either band can handle 10 wifi devices. So the 2.4GHz wifi band has 10 wifi devices and the 5GHz wifi band has 10 wifi devices. So the hub can handle 20 wifi devices at any given time.

If you can separate the two bands and set up two independent WiFi networks, one for 5G and one for 2.4G, you will have more control. The 2.4G band has more range than the 5G. You could sign on the more distant (weaker signal) devices to the 2.4 G. 

Greetings
followup...by turning the telus 279 rural hub into a gateway and not use it as the modem actully increases speeds slightly as I can remotely control/check cameras/devices quicker.
5G signals across ten acres (almost 436000sq.ft.) requires way to many upgrades as with 2.4G which is way more cost effective.

As for a urban setting which i also have the telus unit is also just a gateway as well because of the Minimal setup to get by for the price paid....so again a external performer is attached to provide a wider faster gain in performance
On Oct. 14, 2020, at 10:00 a.m., TELUS Neighbourhood < telusneighbourhood > wrote:

Hi adamthebad,

RonAKA (Ambassador) posted a new reply in Internet & Home Phone on 10-14-2020 10:00 AM:

Re: Smart Hub is limited wifi.

If you can separate the two bands and set up two independent WiFi networks, one for 5G and one for 2.4G, you will have more control. The 2.4G band has more range than the 5G. You could sign on the more distant (weaker signal) devices to the 2.4 G.

Reply | Give Kudos

You are receiving this email because a new message matches your subscription to a topic.

To control which emails we send you please go to, manage your subscription & notification settings or unsubscribe.

a limited proposition at best!!...where some systems will only run or engineered to run on 2.4G. the whole electronic world still has not adopted 5G signals...

When a side router is put into this scenario its 50 either way (2.4/5) with no limitations.

"NOT all rural homes are limited to 10 wifi connections like TELUS thinks we should have"

The limit of 10 connections per frequency is determined by ZTE the device manufacture. Rogers and AT&T use the same device and have the same limitation.

Problem solved! Woohoo!!....the Telus ZTE MF279 gets tossed. No more freezing and limitations. NightHawk LTE Modem wiith Nighthawk Long rang Router...Clear sailing

Did you actually replace the ZTE MF279 with the Nighthawk? Or in addition to it?  (I'm kind of new to this.)   We have spent hours on the phone with Telus because our MF279T just stops - randomly.  All of the devices are connected but it won't talk to the outside world. 

bgt
Just Moved In

I'd like to know the answer to this as well as i'm out of 2.4 G users as most of the cameras, security system and smart plugs only use 2.4 G.  There's another post from CanadianKodiak  about using a range extender over wifi from the smart hub and then plugging a router into the range extender using ethernet cable.  Telus seems particularly vague about either solution working or coming up with a solution of their own that we can use??  And yes, my smart hub quits arbitrarily, usually when we're a 2 hr drive away.  Seem to have partially solved this by pulling the battery on the smart hub, plugging the smart hub into a smart plug and having the smart plug turn the power off for a minute or two and back on again.  The smart plug is connected to a UPS in case of power outage which takes the place of the battery.  You have to use a smart plug that works when the internet is down obviously.

bgt
Just Moved In

I'm having the limited number of connections problem with ZTE 279 smart hub as well as most of security, camera and smart plug users are 2.4G.  There is another post from CanadianKodiak about using a range extender and then an ethernet cable from the extender to a router.  Telus coach says it shouldn't work, but CK says it does.  I also have trouble with the smart hub crashing, usually when I'm a 2 hour drive away.  Have temporarily solved this by pulling the battery from the smart hub, and plugging the smart hub into a smart plug which is connected to a UPS (solves the battery removal issue).  Then I have the smart plug shut down for a minute or two once a day in case the smart hub has crashed.  Essential to use a smart plug that still works when the internet is down (I'm using Kasa HS103) Anyway, pretty disappointed with Telus an any sort of a formal response in these forums on how to overcome the limited number of users.  Otherwise I guess I'll have to start spending more $ on electronics that may or may not work.