cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate Wifi Booster and Main Connection

tmf1bbb
Just Moved In

I have a 1 gigabit connection with a t3200m and 1 wifi booster in my condo. I'm sharing the place with 1 roommate. Right now I'm connected to the main wifi while my roommate is on the booster with a separate SSID and password. But it seems like everything is still connected, we can stream youtube on each other's TVs, and I can still access to my NAS while on the Booster's wifi network. Is there a way to keep things separate? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AbBowhunter
Advocate
First off you have the wrong modem. Telus best practice IS that on pure fibre with the 1 gig and up connection you should have the wireless hub.
On to the next issue. You have a Telus modem. Get rid of it. Unless you have Telus Optik TV.

The biggest issue with Telus is the modem and firmware in it. I no longer have a Telus modem. I run 3rd party. Better wifi coverage and they actually support the product.

If you want/need more help DM me for more information.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

As you've discovered the default is that everyone has the same access on your network.

There may be ways to segregate your network depending on what you hope to accomplish.

Could you elaborate on what you would like to do?

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

I want to separate our connections, so that I can't see his smart TV and he can't see my NAS storage. 

AbBowhunter
Advocate
First off you have the wrong modem. Telus best practice IS that on pure fibre with the 1 gig and up connection you should have the wireless hub.
On to the next issue. You have a Telus modem. Get rid of it. Unless you have Telus Optik TV.

The biggest issue with Telus is the modem and firmware in it. I no longer have a Telus modem. I run 3rd party. Better wifi coverage and they actually support the product.

If you want/need more help DM me for more information.