cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Internet Connection

Nbeckthold
Just Moved In
Does Telus need to run a secondary fiber line to provide 2 separate networks at a given address?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Generally they would run separate lines for each account. To my knowledge, they will not set up multiple accounts at a single residence.

If YOU want two separate networks (and IP addresses) you can place a switch between the ONT and routers, and obtain two network IP.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

linuxgeek
Coach

You should contact TELUS directly. Telus could just run one fiber and create multiple accounts/connection from that, or they could also run 2 separate fiber cable to create 2 account/connections.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Generally they would run separate lines for each account. To my knowledge, they will not set up multiple accounts at a single residence.

If YOU want two separate networks (and IP addresses) you can place a switch between the ONT and routers, and obtain two network IP.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

xray
Hero

There isn't a technical reason blocking 2 internet connections at the same location. I suspect there is an accounting reason however. There can only be 1 account for each address because address is one of the business keys for uniqueness to ensure accounts are not crossed. So if you have 2 addresses (i.e. Unit 1 and Unit 2) at the same location then you should be able to get 2 accounts.