cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFP Switch in front of Telus Network Access Hub

feiya200
Neighbour

Currently I have Telus 2.5G internet. The green fibre along with the nokia SFP module is attached to the Network access hub (acting as a router too).

However I also bought the 5 static IP package and I'd like to utilize it. I bought a TP-LINK SX3008F switch, disconnect the nokia SFP and plug it into the TP-LINK switch, nothing happens. Seems the SX3008F cannot recognize the Nokia XGS-PON fibre module.

I was hoping to achieve one static IP assigns to the network access hub, and the other 4 static IPs goes to 4 computers connected to the switch.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DrPacman
Rockstar

@feiya200 Wrote: Currently I have Telus 2.5G internet.

This is the key point. I believe you are going to have to leave your Telus device inline prior to obtaining your additional IP addresses. So Telus device in bridged mode, then from the 10Gbps port on the Telus device, out to a 10Gbps switch. That will allow for the multiple IP addresses.

I would recommend that you then link to some sort of routing device capable of the 2.5gbps speeds as you will want to protect your various devices from attaches as well a routing and firewall.

I have a similar setup, however I only utilize 2 IP's. I have the Telus NH20A in bridge mode, feeding to a MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+IN switch, then on to 2 Unifi routers capable of ingesting 10Gbps speeds. The out to additional switches and AP's

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

DrPacman
Rockstar

@feiya200 Wrote: Currently I have Telus 2.5G internet.

This is the key point. I believe you are going to have to leave your Telus device inline prior to obtaining your additional IP addresses. So Telus device in bridged mode, then from the 10Gbps port on the Telus device, out to a 10Gbps switch. That will allow for the multiple IP addresses.

I would recommend that you then link to some sort of routing device capable of the 2.5gbps speeds as you will want to protect your various devices from attaches as well a routing and firewall.

I have a similar setup, however I only utilize 2 IP's. I have the Telus NH20A in bridge mode, feeding to a MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+IN switch, then on to 2 Unifi routers capable of ingesting 10Gbps speeds. The out to additional switches and AP's

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

Sorry I have to ask you one more follow up question, how do you connect NH20A with MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+IN?

I have NH20A as well but the 10G port on it is a RJ45, and MIkroTik all 4 ports are SFP+, right?

@feiya200 Wrote: How do you connect NH20A with MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+IN?

One thing to note: The MikroTik  can act as both a switch or router, it must be set as just a switch for this to all work..

Personally I have a number of 10GBase-T SFP+ Transceiver RJ-45 transceivers to adapt between the RJ45 and SFP+ fibre. 

Some of the brands include ONTi (ONT-C1TE-R01), (Wiitek SFP-10G-T) seem to work for me, your milage may vary... Cheers

feiya200
Neighbour

Thank you. That answers my question perfectly. What would recommend for a router model that can do >= 2.5Gbps?

@feiya200 What would recommend for a router model that can do >= 2.5Gbps?

The Ubiquiti Unifi  UDMPro, UDMPro SE will work very well. As well the Next-Generation Gateway Pro is a very viable solution. However, if you have a number of requirements for additional connections, both wired and wireless, additional switches and AP's are going to be required as well... Cheers...