cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running internet through cable

PeterPopOff
Friendly Neighbour

I have a fifth wheel I want to get internet in but its only prewired for cable tv, I've heard somewhere that it is possible to run the same signal through it but I'm struggling to find an answer and if it is possible are there any drawbacks?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@PeterPopOff wrote:
The first one is not an issue as I am confident Telus will provide service where I am, the power lines for the house on this property go into a pump house and then go underground to the house and trailer lot and the house already has Telus pure fibre subscription for the trailer lot there's a satellite on the pump house with a coax cable that goes underground to the trailer lot and I figured that best case scenario would make it as easy as just unconnecting the cable from the satellite and using some adapters

That's key information that was not clear in your initial post. Sounds like all you need is to connect the coax to the MoCA port on the router and then get some MoCA adapters to use in the trailer. You will need to run your own coax from the router to the trailer.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus won't run internet through coax outside of a residence. I'm not sure if you're parked on a private lot or in an RV park/resort but you need to determine if Telus even offers service to your location. If you go to Telus's website, look for the Check Availability - Enter Address link. Once you enter your address, it will tell you which services are available in your location.

avail.png

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

PeterPopOff
Friendly Neighbour

Private lot and yes TELUS is available where I am and you said they won't run coaxial cable outside of a residence, does that mean it's possible then but they may deny service depending on where I am?

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

This is feasible using MoCA:

Multimedia over Coax Alliance - Wikipedia

Probably more work than it's worth as you would likely need a wifi extender/repeater in the fith wheel that would connect to your Telus router and has a MoCA port to connect to the cable wiring there.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

xray
Hero

There are 2 separate issues here.

1. Will TELUS provide service to a location that does not have a fixed building/structure/address
  2. Assuming above is a go then you can run a network connection from the router (installed somewhere?) via coax to MoCA adapters inside your fifth wheel to get an Ethernet connection.

PeterPopOff
Friendly Neighbour
The first one is not an issue as I am confident Telus will provide service where I am, the power lines for the house on this property go into a pump house and then go underground to the house and trailer lot and the house already has Telus pure fibre subscription for the trailer lot there's a satellite on the pump house with a coax cable that goes underground to the trailer lot and I figured that best case scenario would make it as easy as just unconnecting the cable from the satellite and using some adapters

@PeterPopOff wrote:

That's key information that was not clear in your initial post. Sounds like all you need is to connect the coax to the MoCA port on the router and then get some MoCA adapters to use in the trailer. You will need to run your own coax from the router to the trailer.

PeterPopOff
Friendly Neighbour
Because I was asking if it was possible to run an internet connection through coax in the original post and not if Telus serviced anything where I am and thanks for answering my question.

Also another thing forgot to add just to clarify it more now, I am not running it from the existing router but getting another subscription.

xray
Hero

If you need to run coax make sure it's RG6 and rated for outdoor/burial as needed. MoCA adapters are readily available online.