cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pure fibre not available at new home

TonyB
Just Moved In

I am a current PureFibre 300 user - and the service has been very good.  I will be moving in September to a new home, and PureFibre is not available in the area.  I called in to inquire about my account, and what to do with it, and was told be a very rude operator that I had to switch to ADSL or pay a cancellation penalty.  This is completely outrageous!  The service that I subscribed to is FIBRE - bi-directional 300mbps.  I fail to see why I should have to pay a penalty just because TELUS is unable to provide the service that I subscribe to.  For the lacky at the other end of the phone to suggest that ADSL is even remotely the same as fibre is laughable!  The fastest speed available is 75 down, 15 up.  Compared to 300 down, 300 up.  TELUS are trying to pass these two services off as "comparable" (the guy tried to argue that what I subscribed to was "internet service", and that both plans provide that - NO THAT IS NOT WHAT I SUBSCIBED TO!!!!!  The ONLY reason I moved to TELUS was for fibre!!!!)  I would like an explanation as to why I should be responsible for a cancellation fee when the ONLY reason that I want to cancel is that TELUS cannot provide the service that I subscribed to.  To try to weasel out and say that ADSL is the same is a blatant LIE!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

No, you are canceling because you are moving. That Telus will not charge a penalty if you resubscribe in a different location is a bonus for you.
I have no understanding why you expect services to be available where infrastructure is absent. There are still areas where homes are still on 6Mbps service. They would happily subscribe to 75 Mbps internet if available.
Since most cancellation fees are associated with some bonus offered to the customer, it would seem your choice to cancel or not, is dependent on the value of the promotional bonus or gift you received.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

No, you are canceling because you are moving. That Telus will not charge a penalty if you resubscribe in a different location is a bonus for you.
I have no understanding why you expect services to be available where infrastructure is absent. There are still areas where homes are still on 6Mbps service. They would happily subscribe to 75 Mbps internet if available.
Since most cancellation fees are associated with some bonus offered to the customer, it would seem your choice to cancel or not, is dependent on the value of the promotional bonus or gift you received.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"