cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No connection to anything other than google sites over LAN, but a full connection over wifi- except!

ewantaylo
Neighbour

This is for a telus wifi hub router/ modem combo.

My wifi works, but my LAN doesn't. Wifi will load anything I want, but a wired connection will only load google services. I've tried with two laptops, my desktop, and an xbox 360. All report being connected to the internet, but are unable to load anything other than google services. In the router 192.168.1.254 menu, they are reported under the "connected devices" tab as "name-unavailable".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Have you played with any setting in the router? If so what? This was from yesterday, has it resolved itself?

What's the model # of the  wifi hub router/ modem combo? what is the physical signal path/chain of your present equipment?

Reboot

Factory reset

Physical wiring changes

LAN DHCP static addressing, range setting

MAC address filtering allow/denial list

IP conflicts

etc

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

kamak
Ambassador

xray
Hero

Just to clarify what you are saying, when you say LAN do you really mean Ethernet? LAN (Local Area Network) is the private network behind your router. It doesn't matter how the devices are connected (WiFi or Ethernet) they are on the LAN.

Assuming you mean Ethernet, are you testing with the same devices for WiFi or different devices? It might be a DNS setting issue on the devices.

I do in fact mean ethernet. I've tried the same devices on both wifi and over ethernet. I've tried both wifi and ethernet on most of the devices (Don't have an adapter for the xbox.)

Have you played with any setting in the router? If so what? This was from yesterday, has it resolved itself?

What's the model # of the  wifi hub router/ modem combo? what is the physical signal path/chain of your present equipment?

Reboot

Factory reset

Physical wiring changes

LAN DHCP static addressing, range setting

MAC address filtering allow/denial list

IP conflicts

etc

I've had this issue since I got telus internet in mid january. I've reset and factory restored it the router multiple times. 

ewantaylo_0-1649371018468.png

This is all my router info.

Present path is- ethernet line into the wall, and then a cable from the wall port to my PC. I've tried a few cables, and even plugging directly to the router.

I'll try adding my MAC to a whitelist and setting a static address.

The devices connected to the ethernet cables are definietly connected to the internet though- it's just that they can only go to default google sites.

Can I ask you to try something?

Do you know how to setup and use a VPN. Do you have a VPN? You could probably use one temporarily on a trial bases. 

I myself have had issues with ethernet connection through Telus and at the same time could connect via WiFi. I just had/have one today. I turned on my VPN, boom problem solved. I haven't gotten to the cause of the problem just yet, though this worked. It must be some kind of DNS issue associated with my public IP address, so as soon as I change my public IP (ie use a VPN) it gets bypassed. Though it seems more targeted than the public IP as it is just one PC on my network that is experiencing this DNS blocking. So it might be LAN IP or MAC address targeted, though that seems odd, that a  VPN would solve that kind of issue. Plus my issue makes ALL internet connectivity impossible via Ethernet. Plus the use of WiFi working at that time, would closer pin it down to device MAC address targeted. As each device has its own MAC address. ie WiFi and Ethernet device.

Give it a try anyways and see what results you get.

Also an easy thing to do. Spoof your MAC address. But you did say ALL computers on ethernet can only get to Google services, and not surf the net? What do you mean google services, and not actually surf any internet? That definitely sounds like DNS issues. Try creating a new DNS with your IPv4 properties. I use a lot, 1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1 or 8.8.8.8 / .... or if you are already using your own selection try going back to default and use Telus' DNS services.

My issue with ethernet and internet connectivity got resolved:

I could see that LAN IP address negotiation is an issue, the PC could not establish a connection to the LAN when enabling it. It would state an "Unidentified Network"

I spoofed my MAC address of the PC's eth device/port - Didn't work

I changed my static IPv4 LAN IP back to Auto negotiate - Didn't work

I changed my static IPv4 LAN IP back to a IPv4 NEW IP address - Didn't work

Disabled all installed VPN virtual devices - Didn't work

Connected a second cat5e cable to the second PC eth device/port#2 and enabled - Didn't work

Can't spoof this second adapter's MAC address - NA

set the second adapter IPv4 IP to Auto - didn't work

Set the WiFi device to IPv4 IP auto, though it worked in static - Works both ways

Finally ethernet found a proper connection, with any IPv4 IP setup auto or static. At this point I'm still in the dark as to what causes it, what corrected it or what to do to prevent it from happening again.

I hope this helps you a bit with reconnecting your ethernet IPv4 IP/DNS issues.

If I'm reading this correctly you're getting "FULL" internet connectivity, but not LAN connectivity when using ethernet?

"No connection to anything other than google sites over LAN"

kamak
Ambassador

sonofdust
Friendly Neighbour

Oh MY!! Someone else has the same trouble I'm having.  Within the past 2 days this has started happening. I can access only google.com searches and youtube . All other websites are "unreachable". I use Windows 10.  Driving myself crazy trying to solve this. I thought it had to do with a recent windows update which I have "rolled back" but still have the same issue.  Is there a solution to this?!  Please help.

The only way I can get full internet access ( DNS seems to work) is that I restart my computer. I then get internet for a period of time, but when I walk away from my pc and return some time later, no internet works except access to google sites/products.  I've reset my DNS to alternative DNS settings but nothing works.

Is there some Telus tech support that can work this out?  It's something that started 2 days ago.