cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving the Computers

CityKitty
Organizer

Greetings smart folk!

I would like to move my computers to another room, but I'm seeing something different than I've seen before. The computers are on ethernet. There are two lines, like telephone lines, that go into a receptacle on the wall. I can move everything else with no problem, but what do I do to set that part up? The room is directly below where they are now, if that matters.

Or do I need to hire a technician.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

xray
Hero

Those are Ethernet cables and they plug into Ethernet jacks in the wall. The jacks are not the same as phone jacks so you need to look carefully at them in the current room and see if the same type of jack in in the new room. If the new room has the same jacks then just use them.

If not then you have some options:

1. Have someone run Ethernet cable from your router location and install jacks in the other room.
  2. See if you can extend cables from the existing jacks to the other room.
  3. Get WiFi adapters for the computers and not use Ethernet
  4. Get Powerline adapters which plug into a wall outlet and extends the network using power lines.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

xray
Hero

Those are Ethernet cables and they plug into Ethernet jacks in the wall. The jacks are not the same as phone jacks so you need to look carefully at them in the current room and see if the same type of jack in in the new room. If the new room has the same jacks then just use them.

If not then you have some options:

1. Have someone run Ethernet cable from your router location and install jacks in the other room.
  2. See if you can extend cables from the existing jacks to the other room.
  3. Get WiFi adapters for the computers and not use Ethernet
  4. Get Powerline adapters which plug into a wall outlet and extends the network using power lines.

Option 4! I just went through few tricks and hoops to get all my streaming options set up "just so" and I'm sure I can sort this out. Any suggestions on best brand. I'm a gamer, with two computers side-by-side and I do a lot of streaming my videos, movies, etc. I don't want anything to do with buffering, since it always messes up. If you can recommend something, it will make my search easier.

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

I have no experience using Powerline adapters. I wired my house with in-wall Ethernet cables when it was built so never needed to use them.

Do a search on this web site to see what others are buying, I recall a few threads asking about them. Since you are a gamer this is probably one device where you will notice the difference between a cheap one and a more expensive one so check the reviews and specs before you buy. Good luck.

If you’re unable to go wired, get a mesh wifi set up. This is what Telus Boost is, but Best Buy has options from google, netgear, and linksys, among others. In my view, a strong wifi signal is the next best thing. I’ve heard of interference from electricity if you’re using power line, so may not be ideal for streaming games. 

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, interference would not be good in the middle of a big fight! So I would need to install wifi in the computers? They are desktop and I like being on an ethernet line because it just seems less glitchy than wifi, so I never worried about it. I will check into it. Thanks again!

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you are looking for PowerLine gear I would recommend TP-Link or D-Link. The speeds range fro 200 to 2000 Mbps. If you need something pretty basic this would be a good starting point:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/d-link-d-link-powerline-av2-1000-gigabit-adapter-dhp-601av-dhp-...

https://ca.dlink.com/en/products/dhp-601av-powerline-av2-1000-gigabit-starter-kit

Note that actual speeds will depend a lot on your wiring. These should always be plugged directly into a wall receptacle. These have only one ethernet port on each end and no wifi hotspot.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

Thanks Fuzzy! That link was interesting and it gave me a starting point to decide just what I would need if I go that way.