cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I upgraded my internet to gigabit but my 2nd router won't go above 100mbps now, what gives?

PhilipJayFry
Neighbour

So a little bit of background info here, years ago I stuck a switch in between the fiber media converter and Telus Actiontec router which allowed me to plug in a separate pfsense router which also got its own public IP. I only did it this way for the optik TV boxes which would only work with the Telus router. It worked fine for years and both routers had no issues and were getting the full 300mbps I was paying for.

Flash forward to today, I recently upgraded to gigabit and am getting 940mbps on the provided Actiontec router, but my pfsense box is only getting 100 mbps and I don't get why? I have power-cycled everything (need to unplug the pfsense box when doing this or it always messes with the initial handshake) but it just doesn't want to give me the new speeds. Perhaps its because it wont let go of its current DHCP address? Or is there some new "feature" designed to throttle down my 2nd IP?

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

PhilipJayFry
Neighbour

Nevermind 🙂

No idea what happened but its been 24 hours since the change and I reset everything for the 3rd time just now and it gave me the new speeds! Same DHCP address, but that doesn't matter, its working! Screenshot 2021-11-24 093244.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

PhilipJayFry
Neighbour

Nevermind 🙂

No idea what happened but its been 24 hours since the change and I reset everything for the 3rd time just now and it gave me the new speeds! Same DHCP address, but that doesn't matter, its working! Screenshot 2021-11-24 093244.png

@PhilipJayFry wrote:

Nevermind 🙂

No idea what happened but its been 24 hours since the change and I reset everything for the 3rd time just now and it gave me the new speeds! Same DHCP address, but that doesn't matter, its working! 

The IP addres operates at Layer 4 and data link speed is determined at Layer 2. They are totally unrelated.