cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set up a 2.4 ghz network on my 5 ghz Telus Hub Modem

DarleneK
Just Moved In

I have a set of Christmas/Halloween light that will only connect to a 2.4 ghz network and I have the lastest Telus Hub Modem. How can I set this up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

SmartSteering does not exist on the hub, but you can turn the two 5 GHz radios off in settings. Try turning off the 5 GHz radios, setting up your lights, and then turn the radios on again.

Access settings by surfing to 192.168.1.254, and entering the  Admin credentials from the top of the hub.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RonAKA
Rockstar

The T3200M modem/router that I have uses SmartSteering. It is supposed to pick the best option between 2.4 and 5 for frequency. It may do what you want. If it does not then you need to disable SmartSteering, and set up a SSID and password for each frequency. Use your browser to enter the admin settings and password which should be on the side of your modem/router. Go to Wireless settings and then SmartSteering to disable it. This splits the service into two bands. Then go back to basic settings to set a name and password for each frequency. You then have to apply it and sign each of your devices into each frequency. Generally the 2.4 gives more distance, and the 5 has less interference from other users in the area. 

Hope that helps. Post with any questions.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

SmartSteering does not exist on the hub, but you can turn the two 5 GHz radios off in settings. Try turning off the 5 GHz radios, setting up your lights, and then turn the radios on again.

Access settings by surfing to 192.168.1.254, and entering the  Admin credentials from the top of the hub.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"