cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I force my laptop to switch to the best (closest) AP when I change location in my house?

hstraf
Neighbour

Is it possible to force my laptop so it will automatically switch to the best (closest) AP, whenever I move to a different location in my house?

The problem is that my laptop connects to the closest AP, and then stays connected to that AP even if I move to the other side of the house where there is a different AP that is much faster. Even if I disconnect the wifi on the laptop, and then reconnect... it still connects to the original "far away" AP instead of the closest AP.

The laptop is an old (2008) Thinkpad T520 running Windows 10. The wifi adapter is an "Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN" and has both 5Ghz & 2.4Ghz.

The APs in my house are provided by Telus:

- Their latest and greatest router/AP. ("TELUS Wi-Fi Hub"). This is located in the middle of my house.

- Two wifi "boosters".  I have placed one on each "side" of my house, and I confirm they are working correctly. (Any device connected to a booster has very fast speed.)

The boosters and router/AP use the same SSID for everything, including both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. (There is no option in the router/AP admin area to change each frequency to a different SSID.)

How can I force my laptop to use the best (closest AP) when I change location in the house?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

xray
Hero
If all your AP's use the same SSID how do you know which one you are connected to?

Log into the Hub admin, and click the "Booster-->Connected wifi clients" menu link. 

It shows a listing of all connected clients, including which AP they are connected to.

melon
Just Moved In

I have the exact same issue. Other devices like my cell phone will connect to whichever is closest but my laptop won't. So I end up getting a weak-moderate signal when I move to the other end of the house even though there's a much stronger signal beside me.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Jammer005
Organizer

Same issue here. Unless I turn wifi on/off on my Air M2 it will stay connected to a poorer connection. Wish there was a way to force it to the closest booster. I have 6 boosters, 5 of which are wired.