cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail Privacy - Does Gmail (Google) have servers in Canada?

Glacier21
Friendly Neighbour

As per Telus "Your data is stored in Google's network of geographically distributed data centers."  Does Gmail store email on servers in Canada?  I am aware Microsoft has data centers in Canada and why BC Privacy Commissioner has approved Office365 for BC Public Schools if data is stored on Canadian servers. Google has not been approved for BC Public Schools.  I am not aware of any Google data centers in Canada, has this changed?

Data stored in a foreign country is entirely subject to foreign regulations and not Telus privacy policies.  Microsoft also has geographically distributed data centers but, is capable of limiting data storage to specific countries to address privacy concerns. If Google hasn't made an effort to have datacenters in Canada why would they be the preferred partner.

The migration of Telus email to a third party Gmail is compulsory for Telus customers.  The Telus privacy policy suggests there is no effort to store  customer data in Canada instead of a foreign country.  If Gmail does not have servers in Canada then my data will not be stored in Canada.  Telus should make this abundantly clear to customers.  Foreign countries are not obligated to communicate changes that may impact the privacy of  data and may actually prohibit it.    Google and Microsoft are foreign corporations, from the perspective of data privacy Microsoft would have been a better choice for customers.

"Although your data will now be stored in Google's network of geographically distributed data centers, the protection and control of your personal information will continue to be by TELUS. Additionally, as per our privacy policy, personal information collected by TELUS will be stored and processed in Canada or other countries. For more information on TELUS privacy policies visit telus.com/privacy."

5 REPLIES 5

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Google doesn't publicize server locations for security reasons. Based on this site I get the impression there is that option:

https://www.hostedincanada.com/g-suite-signup-canada/

FWIW I would have preferred Microsoft as well but we don't get to choose:-(

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Google does have a data centre in Montreal and one in the works for Toronto. They're part of the Google Cloud platform. They do not say whether or not they store Gmail data there.

I'm not sure if I'd have preferred Microsoft. They tend to be just as invasive as Google is but they are much quieter about what they do with the data. I went with my own email server instead that's hosted in Montreal.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Glacier21
Friendly Neighbour

You are correct, Microsoft is on par with Google for privacy.  My example was a choice between two dominant providers, primarily based on where the data would reside when not in transit.  I hosted my own email server for many years and got tired of maintaining and patching it.  I have often mulled over going back to my own server. Good to hear from someone hosts their own.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm actually using shared hosting package for my email / websites so I don't need to patch the server at all. Makes it easy but you don't have quite the same level of control as you would on dedicated or co-located hosting.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I missed this informative Google site: https://www.google.com/about/datacenters/locations/ 

Office365 Datacenters: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/enterprise/o365-data-locations?view=o365-worldwide#da... 

Google is clearer about the datacenter locations that Microsoft. I believe Outlook.com and Outlook.Office365.com now share the same infrastructure.

I haven't been able to find a detailed Privacy Impact Statement / Assesment for the Telus migration to Gmail.