cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speeds for Delta, BC

cafekief
Ambassador
So both my mom and dad live in different places.... 1 is Cresent Beach of SurreyBC and the other is in Fleetwood of SurreyBC.... Both can get 3 gig fibre internet.... My place in North DeltaBC can only get 1.5 gig internet.. It's been like this since I moved in last year on labour day... (2022)why is it like this? I'm getting gaming rig soon... Want faster speeds.... Please help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Gaming doesn't require a 3 gig connection. Games use a small amount of bandwidth when someone is playing online. Even gigabit is overkill but is good to have for fast downloads of large games. Most PCs only have a gigabit ethernet port. As do most consoles. Plus not all game providers even offer download speeds over a gigabit.

If 1.5 is the highest available speed, that means you just have to wait. Eventually higher speed will become available but there is no way to know exactly when. I'd recommend sticking with gigabit for now. It's fine when gaming and a faster connection will not improve the gaming experience itself, only the download times IF your PC has an ethernet port that is 2.5gbps or 10gbps, and you have a router that will support it.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Gaming doesn't require a 3 gig connection. Games use a small amount of bandwidth when someone is playing online. Even gigabit is overkill but is good to have for fast downloads of large games. Most PCs only have a gigabit ethernet port. As do most consoles. Plus not all game providers even offer download speeds over a gigabit.

If 1.5 is the highest available speed, that means you just have to wait. Eventually higher speed will become available but there is no way to know exactly when. I'd recommend sticking with gigabit for now. It's fine when gaming and a faster connection will not improve the gaming experience itself, only the download times IF your PC has an ethernet port that is 2.5gbps or 10gbps, and you have a router that will support it.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Too true.  Good interactive gaming is all about latency and, once a certain bandwidth is past (and 1gb is well past it) is the only criteria except the game server bandwidth.  The reason that fiber (even at 300) is so good for gaming is the low latency you get compared to the alternatives.  Don't worry (about bandwidth): be happy (about gaming).

buckycat
Leader

Just be glad that fibre is an option where you are. Where I live Telus is only available on copper, and I doubt if fibre will ever come.