cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Switch not working with MoCa adapter

klocsin
Neighbour

I wanted to upgrade my work-from-home office and gaming setup and by hardwiring both my MacBook and PS5 instead of using WiFi. I have almost no experience with Network configurations/troubleshooting, so any help would be much appreciated.

My Telus Optik TV boxes are connected via MoCa adapters and I had repurposed one on my 2nd floor (my modem is on the 1st floor) to hardwire my PS5 – no problems there; super reliable connection. I figured that I could use an ethernet switch to hardwire my MacBook as well, since the MoCa adapter only has one ethernet port. Here is my current setup:

Telus Modem (T3200M) - Coax in wall on 1st floor - Coax out of wall on 2nd floor - MoCa Adapter (ECB6200) - Ethernet cable - Netgear 5-port switch (GS305) - separate ethernet cable into PS5 & another ethernet cable to USB-C adapter into MacBook.

In my MacBook network settings the status says 'Connected' but I get the following message: "USB 10/100/1000 LAN has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the internet." And my PS5 will recognize that there is a LAN connection there but when I try to set it up, it is unable to find the IP address in time.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot or resolve the issue, but if I can somehow get this setup to work that would be AMAZING! I'm hoping to have a reliable/stable connection for both my PS5 AND MacBook instead of having to choose one over the other.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

klocsin
Neighbour

Would a possible solution be to swap the ethernet switch for a router?

xray
Hero

Do you get a link light on the switch port that's connected to the MoCA adapter?

Which port on the switch do you have connected to the MoCA adapter? It shouldn't matter but you may have some bad ports or cables. Try swapping ports and/or cables.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Further to @xray comment, what happens if you connect directly to the MOCA adapter without the switch?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

@NFtoBC I tried connecting my PS5 directly to the MoCa adapter and now it won’t work. Getting the same IP address notification.

It’s worth noting that this MoCa adapter was being used in an adjacent room before I moved it to where it is now. Would it matter that I changed rooms from where Telus originally had it? It’s still going through a coax socket.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Then I wonder if the coax in the second room is properly connected to the rest of the coax in the house.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

@klocsin it wasn't clear in your initial post that you changed rooms on the second floor. I assumed you were in the same room and just added a switch.

I agree with @NFtoBC that it's likely the coax in the 2nd room isn't connect to the T3200M which would be the root cause of the problem.

I was getting all green lights on the switch from every port.