cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DFS Channel Selection Frustration

stonehorse
Coach

Good day all.

This post is part rant and part question. Short version; I live in a condo which means WiFi channels are crowded, even the 5GHz band U-NII-1 and U-NII-3 are busy. I've seen upwards of 24 AP's on channel 44 alone. The 2.4 GHz band I gave up on months ago (turn off). My WiFi analyzer has consistently recommended (about 95% of the time) channel 60 for me. The problem starts with my T3200M gateway NOT showing any DFS channels at all. Even when set to "Auto Select" and hitting the "rescan" button. It was only by accident that I did a hard reboot (removed power) from the gateway for 30 seconds did the router pick channel 132, hurray! A channel all by myself, at least for a few days. No biggie that a couple of others "discovered" channel 132. The thing is, when I look at available channels in the router settings, channel 132 and all other DFS channels do not show up. But I'm on channel 132, so I'm confused. Just out of curiosity, I hit "rescan" and the router kept me on 132. I then powered off the gateway for 30 seconds and when all the lights came back on, I was now on channel 100. Just as good as 132 so that's okay.

So here are the questions, is there a way to 'force' DFS channel selection? In my case, I want channel 60 as recommended by the analyzer. Why does the T3200M not show and DFS channels in the available channel window? Lastly, doing a hard reboot on the gateway to get it to switch channels seems silly when that should happen when doing a rescan of channels. Maybe its time I purchased my own router to gain full control of settings if nothing more can be done with the T3200M.

PS: I know about weather radar on channels 120-128 which may be a non-issue now since Canada switched to the S-Band four years ago. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@stonehorse Wrote: I try to stick to the kis(s) and if it ain't broke, don't fix it principles.

Very sound idea... Those of us with less sense manage to find much harder routes to accomplish the same outcomes... Cheers... 😃😅😂🤣

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

DrPacman
Rockstar

@stonehorse Wrote: So here are the questions, is there a way to 'force' DFS channel selection? 

I looked into doing the exact same thing when we first acquired Telus fibre a couple years ago. Unfortunately no way is possible to force a T3200M to allow this configuration. It just isn't in any of the configuration menus.

The only solution that I was able to find is a far more expensive method for the consumer.

1. Connect your fibre directly to a aftermarket router, such as one from the Ubiquiti line.

2. Utilize a Media converter and output that signal to a consumer router.

Both of these methods incurred additional cost, however, it seems to be the only solution that I was able to find... Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

Thanks for the reply dgstevenson. What I was thinking of doing was removing the T3200M gateway and installing either the Nokia or Alcatel fibre terminal from Telus. Then connecting my own wireless router that is DFS capable. A router from TP-Link or Asus. I think that may be the least expensive option. That also would allow me to relocate the router because I have a ethernet connection that is centrally located. Right now my T3200M is located inside a walk-in closet because that is where the fibre optic cable enters my unit.  

@stonehorse Wrote: What I was thinking of doing was removing the T3200M gateway and installing either the Nokia or Alcatel fibre terminal from Telus. 

I can tell you when I first looked just what was required to achieve such a simple solution, I almost fainted...

Easiest solution is "Bridge" the T320M and string another router inline. That method will as well retain the capability of using OptikTV if indeed you have that service as well form Telus.

The next simpelist method is remove the T3200M, and replace it with a media converter, and then string a aftermarket router that allow for the WiFi configuration you are looking for.

I know that the 10Gtek 1.25G Media Converter, SFP slot, WITHOUT Transceiver will allow for the fibre connection to be converted to a RJ45 output that you can connect to a consumer router that will support the configuration you are looking for. The advantage to this is that you can acquire a router that have WiFi capability in it so you don't have to endure additional expenses.

https://www.amazon.ca/10Gtek-Gigabit-Converter-1000Base-Tx-Copper/dp/B01MG48FD5/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1NGN...

Now me, I went rather over board with my solution. I have Ubiquiti Unifi full stack in my system. Including Router, Controller, Switches, and Access Points. This method is bullet proof, however, not cheap to acquire, and not for the faint of heart to install... Worth it in the long run in my opinion.... Cheers...

Wow, very informative replies. I enjoying tinkering but I don't want to fall down the rabbit hole, at least not yet. I try to stick to the kis(s) and if it ain't broke, don't fix it principles 😁. Not to mention time and cost. Bridging the T3200M, buying my own wireless router and locating it centrally while being hard wired back (Cat5e cable) to port 1 on the T3200. Then I get to play around with my own router settings without Telus imposed restrictions on channels. 😎

@stonehorse Wrote: I try to stick to the kis(s) and if it ain't broke, don't fix it principles.

Very sound idea... Those of us with less sense manage to find much harder routes to accomplish the same outcomes... Cheers... 😃😅😂🤣

stonehorse
Coach

Oh, I have internet only so no Optik TV.

matrudon20
Just Moved In

I live in an urban area around 10km from airport - I get hits very fast on a few channels but on others I have been pretty much for more than a month and its fine.