cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copper phone lines

abbytreasures
Friendly Neighbour

Is there anyone that offers service on a copper line - Telus is constantly telling me they are going to move my home phone service to Fibre - which I do NOT want.  If anyone knows of any provider that still offers copper service, please let me know!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@abbytreasures  Your only solution is to buy a good inverter generator or install an all house generator on propane or gas. Consult an electrician to have a stable ac supply electronics are very fussy about 60 cycle feed.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

polecat
All-Star

@abbytreasures  You have to ask for the fiber phone copper is not going to disappear. After fiber into house for net way faster than copper net i had the phone transfered to fiber finally a line that didn't hiss in your ear all the time. Maybe in a 100 years no wires to house at all phone net tv and possible power by a little dish on the roof. Don't want fiber refuse it its your house. Some people refused the fiber install a year later house sale fell through new people required high speed and fiber install was months and months  out and they could not wait. Bidding wars for fiber houses but not that one lower offers now.

I have fiber on all other services, I just don't want it on my home phone - my home phone is working great and I want guaranteed service in the event of power outages.  I got an email saying I had to get it switched by mid-June. 😞

xray
Hero

What is your reason for wanting to stay on copper phone service?

Fibre phone service has battery backup in case of power outage. Nothing in your home needs to change as far as your own equipment. Service is much more reliable and higher quality.

abbytreasures
Friendly Neighbour

Reliability in power outages.  If you are out power for a few days, the battery backups they say exist won't last that long.  I have read many posts of people complaining of their backup battery not lasting even a day.  

@abbytreasures  Outage where i live over 3 days We only had 4 calls during that time batt still had power on morning 4th day.  I unplugged the phone so it wouldn't use up batt for emergency only for us. Made 2 calls to family and got 2 calls that's when i unplugged phone.  Just used generator and bbq.

So I'm assuming there is no other supplier of copper landlines?  

Telus is the only provider for copper phone service.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

@abbytreasures  Shaw was offering phone over there coax cables  (internet phone) Do people use it ? They use fiber cables on main runs  to nodes that change fiber light signals to signals used by the coax. They had to use fiber to maintain internet speeds for all the customers. Copper can only do much. Talking to mainline fiber installers town to town i think the guy said  one fiber can have 10,000 calls east and 10,000 calls west on just the one glass fiber same time. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Plus Shaw's equipment in the house that's converts the coax to phone would also use a battery backup just like Telus' fibre hardware does.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

@abbytreasures  Your only solution is to buy a good inverter generator or install an all house generator on propane or gas. Consult an electrician to have a stable ac supply electronics are very fussy about 60 cycle feed.