cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't keep minecraft LAN network open &struggle to connect to epson Printer

MikeP1
Neighbour

Since we upgraded our Telus connection, that came with a Telus WiFi Hub, we have had issues with connecting to our epson printer.  My Grandson and I play minecraft over the LAN network option but after a few minutes the LAN server looses the connection and we cannot reconnect.  Any ideas what to do?  I feel it is probably related but not sure.

7 REPLIES 7

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Can you more fully describe the Epson printer issue?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

MikeP1
Neighbour

Sorry for the late response.   could not remember my password 🙂

It is an epson ET-2760.   If I look at the printer setting before I actually print it says printer idle.   We start the print an all is well. The document shows up in the printer window.   Then the nothing for a brief time then the Printer changes to offline and it says cannot find printer.  But if we leave it for a period of time.  Sometimes over 5 min (timed) it suddenly comes to life and begins to print.  I do not have it on a static address but I find it strange that it changes from idle to offline as soon as a print command (? maybe wrong term) is sent to it.  Almost always it will eventually print but very frustrating that it will not print right away.  There are a number of setting in the router that I do not understand.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Hi MikeP1. Question. Before the upgrade, did you have a router from Telus that looked like this?

t3200m2.png

If it was, the newer Telus Wifi Hub has different wireless settings. I know the EcoTank printers prefer wifi that has separated 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless networks and the older T3200 did have a setting for those.

The Wifi Hub doesn't have a setting to separate the two networks so it has a tendency to switch between the frequencies depending on how the connected devices are performing. That can cause a brief drop in connection for connected devices that includes PCs and printers. Some devices are slow to realize the frequency change and take time to reconnect which is why it takes your computer and printer several minutes to find each other again. This frequency change can also affect your Minecraft sessions if one or both PCs are on wireless. Connecting the PCs to a switch should solve their connectivity issue to each other but it won't address the printer.

One option for your printer, if you don't want to wait the several minutes for it to reconnect, is if it's located close to your PC, you could always connect it to the PC with a USB cable. Alternately the EcoTank printer does have a way to directly connect your PC through a dedicated wifi network on the printer but that may be more of a hassle to use as you'd have to swtich back and forth between it and your Wifi Hub.

The Telus Wifi Hub does not have settings for the USB port on it to be used as a print server.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

I connect my devices from my pc  to switches then finally to the router

or 

pc to switch to router to modem

connect the pc to the switch or connect the printer to the usb port on the router and have to enable a setting on the router and enable printer driver.

Anonymous
Not applicable

what router brand are using?

Telus WiFi Hub.  I will buy a switch and try this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I meant connect from pc to switch to modem