cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any action required?

hippo456
Organizer

Just switched to Telus, if anyone could review the setup that would be great. There is a phone line, 2 Optik boxes, and the new Wifi Hub along with the Nokia box. I am not familiar with networking. The fiber is connected to the Nokia, which connects to phone using POTS1 - and using the DATA port on the Nokia it connects to LAN/WAN 4 on the Wifi hub. The eero is plugged into LAN 3 and the PVR is using LAN 2.

I have an eero which I simply plugged in to the modem during my time with Shaw and set it to bridge mode, which avoids a double NAT I believe. 

Also, there is an ethernet plugged into the eero which is for an outdoor camera using FreeIP/Hikvision. Will the camera work as is, or will it need to be plugged into the Wifi hub, or should I have to stop using my router? 

The tech said I could use my own router (eero), so I would have both the Telus network and the eero network. I was looking to see if I should bridge. The webpage had a warning saying it would stop the Optik TV, so I didn’t set it to bridge. Does a regular user need to change any settings on the network admin webpage when joining Telus? For example, Shaw when set to bridge mode freezes the admin website to view only. From looking online, I have seen using a T2300M to bridge port 1 and I don't think it's possible to plug the eero into the ONT, and I also don't think the new wifi hub bridges only 1 port.

Is there any action that I need to take or any comments? I feel that I would have to be in bridge mode, but because it's already working it might not be needed. I would like to not abandon the eero. There is a stable and good connection, but the Telus wifi app is reporting about 500 download speeds and around 800-900 upload speeds for gigabit.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can bridge port 1 to your eero network without difficulty, leaving the Optik units connected to the new cylindrical Wi-Fi hub.

If you terminate your Telus service, the Nokia ONT stays with the house, but the rest of the equipment would need to be returned.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

hippo456
Organizer

Also, does anyone know what happens in the event you decide to cancel fiber (switch providers)? For example, you are required to return the equipment but it looks like it needs to be removed first. Are there any costs to undo the work that has been done on fiber etc or just unplug and leave it there?

I think if you cancel out and have a contract then there may be contract cancellation charges. However, if you have good reasons for cancelling, like it doesn't work well, then you may be able to get out. Most things seem very negotiable with Telus. I have about 30 lines of negotiated adjustments on my Telus bill...

Sorry, but your in house setup is much more complicated than mine, so I can't help you there. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can bridge port 1 to your eero network without difficulty, leaving the Optik units connected to the new cylindrical Wi-Fi hub.

If you terminate your Telus service, the Nokia ONT stays with the house, but the rest of the equipment would need to be returned.

NFtoBC

Thank you. As a sidenote, do you know if Telus is able to bridge a modem from their side? I am not sure what led to an agent saying they were able to bridge but nothing seemed to have happened.

Question, since the Nokia goes to the LAN/WAN port on the Arcadyan, after bridging is it necessary to move the ONT->Arcadyan connection LAN/WAN after bridging port 1? Not sure if that needs to be changed.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I suggest connecting the ONT connection to the WAN port on the router.

NFtoBC