cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a router for a vpn

SeanZ
Neighbour
I recently received the new wifi 6 router modem and I want to use a vpn which I understand the Telus router do not support. Can I purchase an aftermarket router that does support a vpn and connect it to the back of the modem and use a vpn that way? If so how do I do it? Also a dumb question but the new wifi 6 router that Telus sends out now is that a modem router combo or do I completely not understand what I want to do ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@SeanZ Wrote: 

I talked to a help desk and they said it would not work for me using Telus.

I personally have been using Nord with my TELUS fibre connection for over 4 1/2 years without one hiccup. So I'm not sure who has been telling you what, I can tell you it does work..

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

DrPacman
Rockstar

@SeanZ Wrote: I recently received the new wifi 6 router modem and I want to use a vpn which I understand the Telus router do not support. 

When you say you want to use a VPN, do you want to securely connect to your home system from the outside? or is this so you are able to anonymously connect/surf to sites from your home network?

The 2 will require different solutions to accomplish. Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

Hello,
I want to connect anonymously. Make my vpn look like it’s in another country.

Sean

@SeanZ  Wrote: I want to connect anonymously. Make my vpn look like it’s in another country.

I would look for a commercial VPN provider, for example. NordVPN, Surfshark, or even something along the line of ExpressVPN.

All of them have the ability to support multiple device types such as an iPhone, Android, Windows, and Mac. Just a matter of creating an account, installing the appropriate App or software, and off you go. Very little complexity and no long-term commitment. On top of that the overall cost is minimal....

I went down that road and they could not help me. I talked to a help desk and they said it would not work for me using Telus.

@SeanZ Wrote: 

I talked to a help desk and they said it would not work for me using Telus.

I personally have been using Nord with my TELUS fibre connection for over 4 1/2 years without one hiccup. So I'm not sure who has been telling you what, I can tell you it does work..

And how did you do it then? When I tried to set it up on my Apple TV box it wouldn’t do anything. It also slowed my internet down significantly and messed up my wifi printing. So when I was talking to a help desk at NordVPN they said it would not work for me.

@SeanZ Wrote: When I tried to set it up on my Apple TV box it wouldn’t do anything. 

Knowing that you were trying to setup a very specific device would have been helpful. I don't personally use AppleTV, I use other media devices on  my network. However, I do know others have accomplished this via the following.

All caveats included here: Use at your own risk.

Use SmartDNS

A NordVPN feature, SmartDNS, allows you to set up unrestricted access to streaming content on your Apple TV. While not all streaming services are supported by SmartDNS
you can use it to access big names such as Netflix, Disney Plus, and Amazon Prime.

To configure your Apple TV for NordVPN’s Smart DNS feature, follow these steps:

1. Sign up for a NordVPN account.

2. Whitelist your IP address on your profile. NordVPN doesn’t support IPv6 yet, so be sure to whitelist the IPv4 IP address.

3. Click on General and then Network.

4. Navigate to Wi-Fi and select your network.

5. Click Configure DNS and choose Manual.

6. In the text box, enter the details for NordVPN’s SmartDNS servers. Set Primary DNS to 103.86.99.103, and Secondary DNS (if available) to 103.86.96.103.

7. Click Done.

8. Restart your Apple TV for the new settings to take effect.

While this method is straightforward, it requires you to overlook security and protection. Unlike a VPN connection, SmartDNS doesn’t provide your Apple TV with security and privacy protection. In addition, SmartDNS merely reroutes your data through a proxy server. It won’t offer you the flexibility of being able to choose your location. Therefore, this is a recommended method only if your sole goal is to bypass geo-restrictions to access blocked content.