Add another router to my Nokia Fiber modem

Highlighted
Neighbour

Anyone know if I can attach another router to the Data 2 output on my Nokia Fiber modem? I have seen an answer to the extra router question that suggests a Gigabit switch between the ONT and the 2 routers but it would be simpler to use the Data 2 port no? Or is it not active? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need reliable wifi in my garage/studio.

Cheers!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Only one port is active on the ONT (there is no modem). You would need a switch if you chose to add your own router.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. ๐Ÿ™‚

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Only one port is active on the ONT (there is no modem). You would need a switch if you chose to add your own router.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. ๐Ÿ™‚

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Neighbour

Thanks for that. Curious though. The ONT has 1 fibre input and 4 Data outputs. Does it not act as a Fibre to WAN router?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

No. It just acts as a device that translate fiber to a single ethernet port for residential installations.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Thank you.