cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More of a rant - hardware

giantbrownguy
Rockstar
Are we ever going to see new hardware? I’ve been an Optik TV customer since 2008 (with a brief interlude with Shaw) and it’s amazing to me how much further ahead technologically Shaw and Bell are with their TV offers, in terms of features, responsiveness and hardware in general. Bell in particular because Fibe TV and Optik were pretty equivalent at one point and they have now leapfrogged immensely.

Not a question. Just a rant because we pay a hefty amount to see nothing ever change. Not that I’m switching, but it is still annoying.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

xray
Hero

I have a better app experience using my smart TVs (Android TV).

Everything comes at a cost. I don't want Optik trying to duplicate features I already have on my TV and end up charging me more, slowing the box down and/or introducing additional bugs. I actually would like Telus to remove the Netflix, YouTube and Amazon Prime apps to allow the box run faster for Optik service. You know the saying, a jack of all trades is master of none.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

What features are missing? Because i don't see a need for hardware besides dolby atmos, maybe backlit bluetooth remote, the 4K receivers do a good job in general.

If I look at Shaw as an example, responsiveness of the system, more stability on apps. The Shaw box feels more like an Apple TV or Chromecast in how the apps respond. On Optik I find it so laggy that it's not worth the hassle to use. Maybe more features in season recordings (like start a recording early, as opposed to just finishing late). 

If I look at Fibe TV from Bell, they have alternative viewing options built in (i.e., watch on Google Play instead) - https://www.bell.ca/Fibe-TV

I feel like we're paying a lot of money and not seeing things move forward. Also, if you think about other technology, over time the responsiveness slows down over time. Using old hardware seems like a recipe for making the service feel ancient. 

xray
Hero

I have a better app experience using my smart TVs (Android TV).

Everything comes at a cost. I don't want Optik trying to duplicate features I already have on my TV and end up charging me more, slowing the box down and/or introducing additional bugs. I actually would like Telus to remove the Netflix, YouTube and Amazon Prime apps to allow the box run faster for Optik service. You know the saying, a jack of all trades is master of none.

calgaryboy
Just Moved In

part of the issue may be that Telus is having to Rip and Replace all the back end Huawei gear means no money left for consumer upgrades....