cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet down for 4 weeks!

Boris92
Friendly Neighbour
I have been without internet due to a broken line (somewhere off site) for almost 4 weeks and Telus doesn't seem to have any interest in fixing it. I have made approx 20 calls or chats and nobody can tell me whats wrong or when it will be fixed. Is this normal? Considering a complaint to the CRTC. Has anyone else done this?
9 REPLIES 9

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Calls and chats will not take you to a person who can answer those questions. They SHOULD have set up a trouble call for you, though. A local tech should have been assigned to address the issue for you, which was my experience when similar happened. I agree 4 weeks is about 26 days too long for resolution.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Boris92
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks NFtoBC. I agree that this is what should have happened. Yet here we are. Between the lack of information being provided to me, the lack of accountability, and lack of overall interest. This may be the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life.

I hate to ask, but do you live in a rural or remote area? And do you pay for fiber? I had a very similar issue happen to me. I'd order internet, and it would go through. Then it would get cancelled. Then I'd order it again, and someone would come out. But they would have a problem completing the order because it wouldn't be there for them to interact with on the back end to complete and troubleshoot a full install. So, my best advice to you. Because I had to contact the network engineer level to get this issue fixed for me. Is to switch to Business internet if you can. And seeming as how your local team leader isn't returning your calls, make a call to your local ombudsman. He would be able to ensure that business practices in your area are being followed by any Telus representatives. I would have sued if it were me out for 4 months.

Boris92
Friendly Neighbour

I live in the city of Lloydminster and yes I do pay for fiber. It would be great if I could get a name/number to contact in order to escalate. I have asked, but so far gotten absolutely no where (except the local guy who won't pick up the phone). I did, however, just receive an email from ccts and they will be investigating. Not sure if that will have any effect or not. What is the advantage of Business Internet? Definitely something I will look into. Thanks for the tip.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Well if the fibre itself is damaged between Telus and your house, they'll need a very specialized crew to replace or re-splice it, if that's even possible. Problem is those crews are very rare, very busy, and I can't imagine there are that many on the eastern edge of the province. The installers for the fibre infrastructure are contractors, or at least the ones I've dealt with in Edmonton are. They won't be part of the regular dispatch and I doubt whoever you were given as a contact at Telus has any connection to them. As long as the last repair tech that was out properly had it escalated to the correct individual(s) that deal with fibre repair / replacement, that would be a start. If you call in they may be able to confirm if it's waiting for fibre repair, assuming there is an open trouble ticket for the repair still.

As for the CCTS, I doubt they'll be able to do much. They're sort of effective in certain situations but not many. They'll do their normal process but I have doubts if it'll result in much in this case.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Well, Business internet has completely separate teams of people who work on everything from local installations to fiber network technicians on the back end. They are the ones who contact you, if orders don't go through. They're the ones who contact their back office from the tech installer up in that order, whose chain of command simply exists to escolate issues and resolves them. They have the power on the local level to override service order requests on sight if their back office gets the order pushed through. I cannot say the same for FIFA and the consumer home service techs. They're half the time lazy, and incompetent. Business internet is the same price as home, with the option of adding static ips if you need them if you run a server like I do. I highly recommend it, and you have more flexible plan options as well. Your internet doesn't throttle when you are receiving high traffic requests on dynamic ip addresses either like consumer internet does. In order to block that from happening, you have to call in to a business number to add your router's or PC's MAC address to keep your IP virtually forever. Without the cost of the addon for static ips. This retains your ipv6 support as far as I know. If you want to be actually valued for your service, business is the way to go as it significantly cuts down on wait times to talk to someone as well. All you need is a business name to work from. And they do the transition on their back end and give you a whole separate account number for your services depending on what you order. Then you can just ask them to add that number to your My Telus account and you pay through Bill Analyzer. It's simple to use and I much prefer that way of doing things. Just to be clear, it's Small to MEdium business that does this. Not sure about commercial or Whole Sale. I'll tell you a secret though. It gets easier the more levels of the corporate ladder you climb.

Dimo-X

Hi Boris92, as NFtoBC mentioned there should have been a case or a ticket assigned to your particular case, as it is not the norm. In this scenario I'd recommend asking the matter be escalated over the phone and request for a follow up in regards to expected time lines for restoration of service/dispatching of field technicians.

Boris92
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks Dimo-X. I didn't realize there was a case or ticket number assigned. I will get that next time I talk to them. Regarding escalation, I had asked for this and they told me that they had. Every time I talk to them (or chat) I ask for time lines. No one has given me one yet. I was hoping that having a local contact would help since that person is "on the ground". I tried him again today and got voice mail AGAIN. He clearly isn't interested in talking to me. That is the biggest frustration of this entire experience. Nobody seems to know or care what is going on. Even if they told me I was screwed and that it would be another month, at least I would know. Now I don't even know if anyone is considering fixing it.

Boris92
Friendly Neighbour

The adventure continues. This week another tech arrived and was able to determine the location of the break. This is the fourth tech visit I've had. The first 3 were only able to tell be that there was a break in the line off site. How's that for a consensus? Unfortunately he was unable to give a timeline for when it would be fixed. This is someone else's department of course and he is just "doing his job". When pressed for a contact he just shrugged and dodged the question with some "...well it depends on this, and....maybe if that happens etc. etc. Suffice to say I did not have the feeling that a repair was imminent. The next evening I went on line with Telus Chat for approximately the 8th time. I don't think they want to talk to me anymore because when I joined the chat I was first in cue, but it took 20 minutes for someone to pick up the line. I also notice that I am not getting invitations to rate their service anymore. Whatever. I chatted with support who informed me that the "Responsible Tech" was in charge of the repair (Tech visits 2 and 3). However, he would not be able to do the repair until the Lloydminster "Drop team" repaired the line. I pressed for a date but although I was told he was communicating at that time with the Drop team, was told that I would not be able to get that until the next morning. I felt this was understandable since we were chatting after hours. I asked if he could follow up with the Drop team the next morning and give me a call/text/email to let me know the status of the repair. He promised to do this and the chat ended. This was Thursday evening and I have since heard nothing from the person on the chat or anyone else from Telus.

I have been a Telus customer for 30 years and never imagined that I could be subjected to this level of service. The repair is one thing, but the lack of accountability by anyone I have to date dealt with is astounding. Everyone shrugs their shoulders and says whatever think they need to so you hang up the phone or close the chat. The local tech gave me the phone number of his dispatcher, who I thought may be able to give me some information. I have called and left multiple messages, but it is clear that he has no intention of talking to me.

All I want is for someone to tell me if they are planning to repair the line, and when (even approximately) it will happen. If they told me that they were doing there best but were short staffed etc. etc. and the repair wouldn't be done until mid-August I would accept that. I wouldn't be happy about it but at least I would know that it was on their radar.

I also submitted a written complaint to the CCTS. I figured why not.