Shaw upgrading internet from 150/300 to 300/600 for free

Highlighted
mrhector
Connector

So looks like Shaw is automatically upgrading the internet speeds on the 150 and 300 plans to 300 and 600. Looking at you Telus. 

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-17572

Community Power User
Community Power User
Node congestion in the future and they don’t hit those speeds at peak times. The upload speeds are still stuck in the 2000s.
canucks4life
Ambassador

Still for people stuck on copper with no hopes of Fibre in the near future especially in MDU's it is very enticing.

RyDawg
Connector
And just like with the 150 and 300 plans, Telus will match them in less than a week I predict.
vishwa
Ambassador

Has been true so far but somehow I don't think it will happen this time.  A lot of people want better uploads rather than higher download speeds.  300/300 is still better in many cases than 600/20(30).  Just my hunch.  

This is one of those cases where I would love to be wrong and get an upgrade from 300 to 600 at no cost(it really doesn't make a difference to me but I will still enjoy the speed test results!).

Tmanok
Resident

Hey, works for me. Shaw at home, Telus at my office down the road in Sooke Smiley Tongue 

Tmanok

YouNoIt
Coach

From my experience i should never of left Shaw telus sucks in every way tv guide is horrible ,tv picture quality all most as good as youtube .gaming lag not any better and ping times are the same as cable what is so great about fibre i see nothing !!! 

valiaig
Advocate

You don't have their new 4K equipment that new costumers get Talus TV quality is better than Shaw. Even with upgrade I am leaving Shaw because I am paying  for service and not downtime.

YouNoIt
Coach

I have the new So called 4k pvr and from coming from the guide sucks and so does much of the content .You guys that bleed telus should really start listening to customers because between the stores and help a person finds from telus on the phone is useless .

Community Power User
Community Power User
Guess you should edit your original post. Since the picture and audio quality was 100 times better.

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-TV-Home-Phone/First-experience-with-Telus/m-p/91693
vishwa
Ambassador

Nice catch! Didn't see that post before.  I don't know how things can get so bad from so good.

YouNoIt
Coach

First day but after you watch telus and shaw .Shaw is the winner .Plus you guys drink way to much Telus cool-aid get with the real problem of bull**bleep**ting consumers i see no change in week i am going back to blue and green can get off my property fibre and all because people being charged overages frees and other fraudulent things .

The other thing fibre is not a better online experience either it is bull**bleep** ping between shaw and telus are about the same hands down .Than dealing with stupid installers using to short of screws to hold the plastic box on the wall not having drill bits to drill hole ya it's a joke .and being higher cost than big blue is joke .

So go and he said one thing now he is saying something else ya i am i seen the light (no not that one) and the other thing the tv guide is a joke no new beside a show to tell you it's new and the recording of a show is pain and the data that optic tv using is crazy how many people are getting suckered out of money for this stupidy .

valiaig
Advocate

@YouNoIt wrote:

First day but after you watch telus and shaw .Shaw is the winner .Plus you guys drink way to much Telus cool-aid get with the real problem of bull**bleep**ting consumers i see no change in week i am going back to blue and green can get off my property fibre and all because people being charged overages frees and other fraudulent things .

The other thing fibre is not a better online experience either it is bull**bleep** ping between shaw and telus are about the same hands down .Than dealing with stupid installers using to short of screws to hold the plastic box on the wall not having drill bits to drill hole ya it's a joke .and being higher cost than big blue is joke .

So go and he said one thing now he is saying something else ya i am i seen the light (no not that one) and the other thing the tv guide is a joke no new beside a show to tell you it's new and the recording of a show is pain and the data that optic tv using is crazy how many people are getting suckered out of money for this stupidy .

Actually TELUS is $30~40 cheaper than Shaw as current customer of Shaw I can say that 100 sure and thy have way more downtime than Taeus does and on monthly basis

Nut nice try dude...

YouNoIt
Coach

your full of **bleep** i have only had a hand full of times where i lost internet and tv or phone in 47 years with Shawcable and shaw is a better tv experience and way better tv guide hands down .You guys in green need to tell the truth and stop eating the green jello .Because you guys are all for team green as of right now i should have stayed with ShawCable because Telus is shady period argue all you want .

The two questions that no one can answer in the high bandwidth !!

Why can't i use my own router for the tv and internet how is the routing done through the tv boxes or in the lousy telus router !! 

Kolby_G
Ambassador

The other thing fibre is not a better online experience either it is bull**bleep** ping between shaw and telus are about the same hands down 

Hahahahah, What? Since when can shaw touch Telus' upload speed with their coax network? Fiber is far superior for upload speeds, and ping as well. Without the upload speed difference, the difference between the two would be basically nothing, but as long as Telus is symmetrical they win.

Here are two ping tests I just ran on my Telus and my Shaw connection. Although both are really great pings, but Telus is clearly lower.

Shaw:

Shaw Ping.PNG

Telus:

TelusPing.PNG

I've been with Telus ever since I could get Fiber in my neighborhood (Shaw is superior in every way to Telus DSL, so I never bothered with that), and I've been with Shaw for over 10 years. I can tell you that without a doubt, Telus fiber is better than Shaw's connection in every way.

Over the last two years, my Telus line had 5 minutes of downtime, at 3am. Over the same length of time, my Shaw connection has had 12 outages, mostly overnight, but also a couple during the day, one outage lasting for 2 hours.

I don't really find either of these outage periods unacceptable (especially considering the 2hour Shaw outage was during a storm), just again, Telus clearly wins.

Kolby_G
Ambassador

Why can't i use my own router for the tv and internet how is the routing done through the tv boxes or in the lousy telus router !! 

You can, your router just needs to support IGMP multicast, which most consumer routers do not without custom firmware. I have my parents place set up this way, No T3200M in sight.

YouNoIt
Coach

Bull**bleep** i tested my shaw against Telus and telus lost the ping was even or shaw was better you guys and your green jello 

YouNoIt
Coach

I don't use consumer crap here never have never will .Telus has big problems here with DATA usage big time and the Tv experience is a joke the tv guide is a joke .Plus you pay more for telus and my fibre experience is horrible my shaw internet was way better speed wise and DATA usage was 250GB to 300GB a month with this **bleep** telus i see half that in a week and ping to different sites are worse than i ever seen on shaw .

I want the problem fixed why is the DATA usage high why are pings horrible and it is better not using the telus crappy router      

Chellah
Resident
I do wish Shaw had fibre. If they did they would be the better service for sure.
Kolby_G
Ambassador

I don't use consumer crap here never have never will .

Then you should easily be able to configure your router to work for the Telus TV system.

you pay more for telus and my fibre experience is horrible my shaw internet was way better speed wise

I get 330/340 on Telus and 338/28 on Shaw. That is less than 1/10th the upload speed on Shaw. Tell me again how Shaw is faster? Last time I checked they were within $5 of each other, however, I would gladly pay a couple dollars more for 10x the speed.

DATA usage was 250GB to 300GB a month with this **bleep** telus i see half that in a week 

The data that my router reports and what Shaw/Telus report are within a few GB of each other every month. That being said most plans on both sides are unlimited now, so who cares?

why are pings horrible

Well, that depends what you are calling "horrible" and what you are ping testing to. Perhaps share some screenshots of your ping tests to various locations.

and it is better not using the telus crappy router  

Well, ya, of course it is, just like its better to not use the crappy Shaw router. Neither are great. There is nothing stopping you from using your own.