cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from Copper to Pure Fibre

musicfreakcat
Organizer

Hi,

I'm a tenant in a basement suite who has to have their copper internet upgrade to Pure Fibre. The Telus tech said it would come from the utility pole and then he has to get into the lane way house then drill into my suite and then he has to go upstairs to do something. Sorry that's all I can remember.

Why does he have to go to the laneway house? Does this mean they have to be upgraded too or is there a box in there he needs to get into or does he need to install one?  

Also when he mentioned to drill into my suite does this me adding a box inside or a box on the outside of the house?   

I'm wondering how big a job this is and if I'll need my landlord around to approve where the box(es) gets put. (I just read one post here where a box got put in the middle of a living room wall and looked terrible).

As you can tell I know nothing about internet installation so trying to understand the process. Tried reading online but it doesn't tell me much. Basically I don't want to be an inconvenience/pain to my landlord if this ends up being a bigger job than i think but I know tenants in the future will want Telus so I know I shouldn't worry so much. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

It sounds like the utilities come to the laneway house, and are distributed from there.

None of the equipment can be placed outside. It needs to be in a heated location with access to electricity. If your apartment currently does not have an existing telecommunications cabinet, then the modem, router, etc., needs to be placed somewhere in the apartment space. You can place it in a cabinet, or under a computer desk if you wish.

I second @Nighthawk ‘s comment about speaking to your landlord.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you're only renting, you'll want to talk to your landlord before any work is done. Especially if holes are being drilled in walls.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

It sounds like the utilities come to the laneway house, and are distributed from there.

None of the equipment can be placed outside. It needs to be in a heated location with access to electricity. If your apartment currently does not have an existing telecommunications cabinet, then the modem, router, etc., needs to be placed somewhere in the apartment space. You can place it in a cabinet, or under a computer desk if you wish.

I second @Nighthawk ‘s comment about speaking to your landlord.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"