cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3200M and 3rd Party Router

MNZS
Friendly Neighbour

Hello, I'm a new Telus customer. We just had the service installed and I'm trying to improve the internet speed on my WiFi network using a 3rd party router.

First things first. Hardwired to the Telus T3200M I get good speed 900mbps.

T3200M is in the mechanical room in the basement so coverage is not great but even standing beside it I only get 200-300mbps. I used to get over 200  with Shaw Internet 300 service. So it's not great when I upgraded to get closer to the Gigabit speeds.

I decided to try my DLink 880L router which I used before with Shaw and have located centrally in the house. This is where I'm having issues.

Bridged or not I only get 80-90mbps when hardwired to the DLink router. I even made and tested a new Ethernet cable and ran it through the halls to ensure it wasn't the connection.

I'm thinking there is some sort of conflict???

Anyone have any suggestions I could try?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

zulu53
Helpful Neighbour

Ask the tech to put in an ONT if one does not exist already.  Then connect directly (using your Ethernet cable) from the ONT to your preferred router/wifi located centrally in your house.  You don't need to use the T3200 unless you have Optik, and then it could be set to bridge mode downstream of your preferred router.  As you found out you need to turn off the QoS in your router.   With a fast AC wifi router you will get 600 down/up on wifi as long as you are in close (20ft) proximity.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

xray
Hero

Your 200-300 mbps speed is limited by the WiFi capabilities of your device and have nothing to do with the Gigabit speed of your Internet connection.

MNZS
Friendly Neighbour

My DLink 880L router is supposed to support speeds up to1900Mbps (2.4G + 5G) using AC.

Am I missing something?

Speed is determined by the slowest part of the communication (ISP service, router, client device). You have not provided any information about the device you are using to run the test. If that device can only do 300 Mbps over WiFi then it doesn't matter that the ISP and router can do faster.

MNZS
Friendly Neighbour

IC

I'm using an iMac which is setup beside the DLink Router.

If I hardwire to the DLink router I get under 100mbps.

If I use WiFi from the DLink I get under 85mbps.

If I unplug the ethernet wire that runs from the Telus T3200M to the DLink and plug it directly into the iMac I get 900mbs.

Somehting is throttling the speed through the DLink modem whether hardwired or wifi.

That indicates the problem is with the DLink. What does the DLink status page say the WAN connnection speed is?

MNZS
Friendly Neighbour

Great question. I don't see a WAN speed status. Nothing about speed. 

I did figure out the issue with the hardwired connection. It was bad QoS setting. Now it's the same speed as when I plug directly into computer skipping the DLink.

This means it's a WiFi only issue.

Why would the Dlink router (under 100mbps) provide wifi network so much slower than the Telus T3200M (280mbps). 

I feel like i'm missing an obvious setting. Or there is some sort of conflict because I didn't have this problem with the Shaw modem.

MNZS
Friendly Neighbour

Maybe I'll factory reset the DLink modem and start from scratch. I appreciate your time.

No problem. It's easy to help people who put in the effort to help themselves.

Check the link speed on your WiFi connection on the device side.

MNZS
Friendly Neighbour

Reset the modem. No change 80mbsp.

Going to see if Telus chat has any ideas.

If you are having problems with a non-Telus device I doubt Telus will have any solutions. You may want to check the DLink support forum.

MNZS
Friendly Neighbour

Telus is sending a technician. Apparently I should be getting 600 over wifi beside the router. Thanks

zulu53
Helpful Neighbour

Ask the tech to put in an ONT if one does not exist already.  Then connect directly (using your Ethernet cable) from the ONT to your preferred router/wifi located centrally in your house.  You don't need to use the T3200 unless you have Optik, and then it could be set to bridge mode downstream of your preferred router.  As you found out you need to turn off the QoS in your router.   With a fast AC wifi router you will get 600 down/up on wifi as long as you are in close (20ft) proximity.