cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow wifi speeds with gigabit?

JasonRoy
Just Moved In

Hi folks

I recently upgraded from 150 internet to gigabit. I'm frustrated with the lack of upgrade (for lack of better words) at the devices over WiFi.

Long story short this is what we've done so far:

Replaced t3200 modem
Replaced white box upstream of modem
Replaced all cables with new cat 6 cables

Now these are the results

Hardwired cat 6 from 3200 to newer win 10 laptop, ul and dl speeds of 750-900mbps (fast.com and ookla/Telus). All good right?

Switch to wifi 5g band off the t3200 and get maximum 120mbps from about 5-10 feet away. Move to another room and speeds go down to 40-60. This is no different than what I had with my internet 150??

Same issue with my Linksys velop mesh system. I can do a speed test of the incoming signal and it's good 800+ both ways, but the fastest wifi signal I can get is 120mbps. 25' from a node I'm getting 40-60.

I'm baffled. I know wifi isn't as fast as wired but it should be able to do 50% at least?

Is there something about this signal that doesn't lend itself to fast wifi speeds?

Thanks in advance for any help

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have 300mbps fibre and have no issues pulling the full 300 over wifi from my T3200M on 5Ghz. That's through two walls also.

The ONT and ethernet cables will not have any impact on your wifi speeds at all. If you're getting full speed hardwired they are fine. Are you only testing wifi with just the one laptop?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

xray
Hero

The fact that you get poor WiFi speeds on both the T3200M and your Linksys router may indicate you have environmental issues like channel congestion. Get a WiFi analyzer app and see if that's the issue.

What is your WiFi link speed (not the same as your Internet speed)? Your client device should have a WiFi connection status page that shows it.