cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port bridging on T3200M - can't get access to outside internet

donzo
Friendly Neighbour

Hi super-users!  I was messing around having some trouble with my optik TV and telus was doing things like resetting my T3200M modem and wiping all my customization (DHCP reservations etc).

So... I decided "I'm going to use my OWN router".  I looked this up and found this helpful article on using "port bridging" through port #1 on the T3200M

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Home/Bridge-Mode-Using-Your-Own-Router/ta-p/52181

I did this, plugged it into port #1, changed my 3rd party router to use its own internal net mask (10.0.0.x), plugged my computer into my router and... I can't get to the outside world.  I see what I think is a sensible IP address on my router (172.218.x.x).  I see some good DNS addresses (75.153.171.114 and 75.153.176.9 - these are the same DNS I see on the T3200M when it is acting as the router).  So my router appears to have an external IP and name servers, but I cannot connect to any external webpage).  I note that my "sensible" IP address is quite different from the address the T3200M gets when I use it as a router - it is 23.16.x.x

Am I doing something stupid?  Or do I need to do something mac address spoof my router to match the mac address of the t3200m or something?  

Any advice appreciated!  Thanks

Don

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

donzo
Friendly Neighbour

Hey, sorry I didn't write in to explain the resolution earlier, I was pulling my hair out in frustration and it slipped my mind.  The resolution was that be careful buying a ubiquiti gateway.  (I got a USG - Ubiquiti Security Gateway).  I read it was the most advanced, coolest router going.  Well, it was a real pain to get going.  The first thing I did when I was using it was switch its local network from 192.168.1.x to 10.0.0.x since Telus was using the 192 network.  I could check the router's webpage at 10.0.0.1 and it said "everything is great, you are on the internet!" but I couldn't access anything beyond the router.  I contacted support and they said I needed to get this controller software to configure the router.  I did, but it was a real pain because I had to plug into Telus to get outside to get the software, then back to USG, then run into a problem, so back to Telus, check some documentation and download some more stuff, create an online account, etc, back to USG.  In the end there were multiple places in the configuration that I had to manually set to 10.0.0.1 before the router grudgingly started to work.  I expect it might have worked out of the box if I had let it have 192.168.1.x.  Sigh.  I don't think I'm going to get any more ubiquiti products 😞  Thanks anyway!  The problem is now resolved.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Try letting the second router to be assigned an IP address by the T3200M, and the IP addresses it assigns in the 192.168.x.x range.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

telusdetective
Helpful Neighbour

Have you checked that your computer is getting an IP from your own router?  Well, I guess it should be okay, seeing as you can log into your own router.

What are your WAN settings for your router?  It's getting a WAN IP from Telus, and not from the Actiontec?

donzo
Friendly Neighbour

Hey, sorry I didn't write in to explain the resolution earlier, I was pulling my hair out in frustration and it slipped my mind.  The resolution was that be careful buying a ubiquiti gateway.  (I got a USG - Ubiquiti Security Gateway).  I read it was the most advanced, coolest router going.  Well, it was a real pain to get going.  The first thing I did when I was using it was switch its local network from 192.168.1.x to 10.0.0.x since Telus was using the 192 network.  I could check the router's webpage at 10.0.0.1 and it said "everything is great, you are on the internet!" but I couldn't access anything beyond the router.  I contacted support and they said I needed to get this controller software to configure the router.  I did, but it was a real pain because I had to plug into Telus to get outside to get the software, then back to USG, then run into a problem, so back to Telus, check some documentation and download some more stuff, create an online account, etc, back to USG.  In the end there were multiple places in the configuration that I had to manually set to 10.0.0.1 before the router grudgingly started to work.  I expect it might have worked out of the box if I had let it have 192.168.1.x.  Sigh.  I don't think I'm going to get any more ubiquiti products 😞  Thanks anyway!  The problem is now resolved.

I have ubiquiti and it was easy to set up. If you are on fibre and don't have Telus tv you can run a patch cord from the white ONT that the fibre is connected to from LAN1 or DATA1 to the WAN input on your router and good to go.