cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moca to Router to Set Top box

Kalidgh
Advisor

Has anyone added a router  in-between the Moca and STB??

So would use coax from modem in office to downstairs TV location.  Then have coax to moca .....ethernet to router....ethernet to STB.  By doing this i could use the extra ethernet ports to support a wired connection from the router to my Playstation and Apple TV. 

Any idea if this would work??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have a few in use. The latest two I bought were a Netgear GS308 and a GS305, and older Dlink gigabit switch which has long since been discontinuted but still works well, and a Zyxel 5 port switch behind my PVR. The GS308 has bright green LEDs on the ethernet ports so just FYI. The Zyxel one I got a long time ago and don't know if it's even still available. Works fine for my PVR and other devices. Haven't had any issues with the set top box I have connected to the GS308 either. I used to have a Linksys switch back when they were still relavent but it randomly started malfunctioning and got tossed.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Use a gigabit ethernet switch instead of the router. I have gigabit switches behind each of my TVs and everything hardwired. No need to worry about separate networks. It just works.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Can I ask you what brand/model you bought??

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have a few in use. The latest two I bought were a Netgear GS308 and a GS305, and older Dlink gigabit switch which has long since been discontinuted but still works well, and a Zyxel 5 port switch behind my PVR. The GS308 has bright green LEDs on the ethernet ports so just FYI. The Zyxel one I got a long time ago and don't know if it's even still available. Works fine for my PVR and other devices. Haven't had any issues with the set top box I have connected to the GS308 either. I used to have a Linksys switch back when they were still relavent but it randomly started malfunctioning and got tossed.

Thanks you for your insight.  Ordered 2 Netgear tonight which will get me rolling .