cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is your crappy Telus Email service exceptionally crappy again?

MrE
Advocate

Anyone else have any information why my login to the telus pop3 server has failed 40 or 50 times in the last 3 days? Is anyone at telus willing to address the problem besides with empty apologies and platitudes?

5 REPLIES 5

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

My POP3 connection hasn't had any problems connecting. Are you sure you don't have something on your end that could be contributing? Like more than one device trying to check for email on the same account at the same time?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

@Nighthawk  Yes I am sure it not my system, and only one of my devices accessed this account.  It is very reproducible and I have logs of the failures.  Each every logon attempt to one of my accounts fails as I type this,  my other accounts are fine. May I ask what mail client(s) and port settings you are using?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm using the default secure port settings that have been posted many times here. I typically use Thunderbird as my mail client on PC and Apple Mail on the Mac. Both using POP3 and neither having issues. I dropped Outlook 2007 previously becuase it was not always working right.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

@Nighthawk Thanks for the info. Apple Mail does not seem to report all failed logins (just retries after a delay), I don't know about thunderbird?  I reproduced the problem simply telnetting into the POP3 host so the problem is definitely not client dependent. Probably the telus LDAP server again (sigh).

I've been using Telus ADSL since they first offered it in the 90's and the one thing I've learned is that none of their servers should be relied on to work properly or reliably. I run all necessary services (DNS, NTP, email, etc) from other external services. It simply is not worth the headache to rely on Telus.