cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Internet

MAMCTURK01
Neighbour
Ever since we updated our service from Internet to now having Internet and optik tv we have had nothing but problems with our internet connectivity. One week the internet uptime is pretty good (just some small 30 second windows where we drop service). But then the next week we probably only have 40% uptime. The internet is disconnected more than it's up. TV always works though. We have had a tech out 3 times and every time they run a speed test and say "looks all good to me" and leave (Modem replaced once). I can't figure out a solution and Telus keeps saying all the data on their end is good. I tried running a D-LINK wireless router to see if it was a wireless router issue, but that didn't fix the problem. Any help would be amazing.
5 REPLIES 5

ameliaaria
Neighbour

Power cycle your modem and router: Unplug both the modem and router, wait for 30 seconds, and then plug them back in.
Check for firmware updates: Make sure your modem and router have the latest firmware updates.
Move the modem and router to a central location: This can help improve the signal strength and reduce interference from other electronic devices.
Test with a wired connection: Try connecting a device directly to the modem with an Ethernet cable to see if the issue is with the wireless signal.
Contact your ISP: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, you may need to escalate the issue to your ISP and request a more in-depth diagnostic test.

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry about that! I agree with everything @ameliaaria stated, and would like to add that we have an FAQ in our Articles section with a bunch of troubleshooting tips to try: https://forum.telus.com/t5/Home/Home-Service-Solutions/ta-p/125045

If that doesn't work, there may be an issue with the location's connection or the equipment itself, and our Tech Support team would be able to run tests from their end to pinpoint the root of the issue. They're available anytime at 1-888-811-2323 or via Live Chat online over at www.telus.com/assist

Ok I'll try doing all that stuff again, but I am not holding my breath.

Are these dips acceptable for download speed? Everytime it dips it actually ends up disconnecting (0Mbs). This is what I am getting with my computer hardwired to the Telus Modem. I only pay for 25 Mbs download so I am fine with these speeds, its the dips that keep causing my internet to drop.internet speed.PNG

ping results.png