cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Move an Actiontec Router 20 Feet to New Location?

Cowboybuddhaful
Friendly Neighbour

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on how to move this Actiontec router from a bedroom to an upstairs lobby area about 15-23 feet away for more accessibility and privacy. 

Questions: 

- Can I just buy a longer: 1) coaxial cable, 2) ethernet cable, and 3) extension cord to move this 15-20 feet?

Context:

1) Fibre is coming to the home via an ONT device on the first floor

2) ONT is hooked up to a ethernet jack to another jack in the second floor bedroom

3) Router is connected to the jack in the second floor bedroom

4) There is a wifi repeater on the first floor connected to the router via coaxial for better coverage 

IMG_0962.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, you can just buy longer ethernet and coax cables. As for power, just plug the T3200 into the closest jack where it is to be moved to. You may have a few cables in odd places but it can work. 

Is your whole house wired for ethernet or is there just a single line connecting the ONT to the second floor bedroom?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, you can just buy longer ethernet and coax cables. As for power, just plug the T3200 into the closest jack where it is to be moved to. You may have a few cables in odd places but it can work. 

Is your whole house wired for ethernet or is there just a single line connecting the ONT to the second floor bedroom?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thank you @Nighthawk. Is there any standard types I should buy, or just something well recommended from Amazon? Sorry I'm not very technical on these matters. This location is the closest power location so that's why I need to keep these connection points the same.

Re: "Is your whole house wired for ethernet or is there just a single line connecting the ONT to the second floor bedroom?" I'm not sure, how might one find out? 

A Category 6 or 6e ethernet cable (Cat6 / Cat6e) would be sufficient. Cat 7 is overkill and Cat 8 is a scam.

Is that one bedroom the only room in the house, besides where the ONT is, that has a wall jack that will fit a network cable? Is there more than one network jack on the wall where the ONT is located?

Great, thanks. What about coaxial cable types, are they all pretty much the same?

Re:

Is that one bedroom the only room in the house, besides where the ONT is, that has a wall jack that will fit a network cable? Is there more than one network jack on the wall where the ONT is located?

Yes, this this is the only room other than the ONT room where a network cable will fit one network jack.

Coax is all pretty much the same.