cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capped smarthubs

PatrickE
Just Moved In

We have two smarthubs in our home: One older (ZTE MF275R) with a 100GB plan and a newer (ZTE MF279T) with a 500GB plan. The newer hub with the 500GB plan never goes past 10Mmps, while the older one reach much higher speeds - often 25-30Mbps. According to TELUS support they don't cap the speeds. I am guessing this is not the truth. Question remains - why is only the newer hub capped? Hardware constrictions on the older hub? I would appreciate some input if anyone else has experienced similar phenomenon or possess the technical knowledge on what is happening here.

7 REPLIES 7

PatrickE
Just Moved In

Also, if anyone knows how to edit a post...

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@PatrickE wrote:

Also, if anyone knows how to edit a post...

Editing of posts was removed due to the number of spammers creating innocuous posts, then editing them to spam. There was talk at one point of returning the editing function to individuals who became regulars of the community, but I'm not sure if it was implemented.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Bluenose1
Just Moved In

Hello from Bluenose1

That is very interesting. So you have 2 smarthubs, 1 older ZTE275 & a newer ZTE279 both up & running with the old 1 getting 25-30 mbps vs 10 for the new 1. I have the older 275 but never saw those speeds. Usually around 10 which we were happy with. Just came back from vacation to dial up speed or none at all. Lots of cant find that page coming up. After the usual runaround got an agent (Cathy) that seemed to know her stuff. Got me to power cycle including pulling the battery ( I was powering off only) & did seem to help for a day but back to .25-2.2 speeds again. Repeated cycling doesn't do it. Anyway she told me if it didn't improve it is a sign my unit is failing & should think about the ZTE279 or Huawei unit. She also told me a plan change was coming Feb 11th. Exactly what that means I'm not sure. My neighbour 100 yards away has a Huawei smart hub. I asked him to speed test. He got 7 to 8 mbps on back to back tests so there could be something to the age/model of unit. We will compare speeds over the coming week & see. From reading another post  (Smart Guy, November) he said old units would switch towers for the best speed while new ones are limited to 1 tower only. He actually said plans not units but you most likely have an old plan & a new one. Lots of other posts point to over saturation which makes sense as sometimes its good, peak times its not. I am located East of Vernon BC & will post our speed comparisons in a week.

not_a_robot
Just Moved In

I have a ZTE MF275R from Rogers, got it unlocked, got it connected to the Telus network (saw upload and download speeds), but they purposely blocked it! Comes up with Telus web page saying "unauthorised device"; it's something Telus does on purpose NOT because the device does not work..

So I have a fully functioning identical device to what Telus sells/sold and I cannot use it because Telus is still doing backhanded shenanigans that I thought were of the past, only allowing devices sold by Telus; so much for unlocking and a fair playing field! 

Shame on you Telus!!

Have you called Telus support? Was the SIM card set up for smart hub plan? If SIM card was from mobile phone it might not work.