cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3200M port forwarding - restrict source IP not available in GUI

Mango
Connector

There is a hidden feature in the T3200M that allows you to make port forwarding more secure by restricting the source IP.  To use it, I used the Tamper Data extension for Firefox.  I changed srvWanAddr to an IP that I trust.  Now, the router allows inbound traffic from that trusted IP only, but not from other IPs.

If anyone from TELUS is reading this, it would be great if this could be added to the GUI in a future firmware release.  🙂

11 REPLIES 11

SCo
Ambassador

Do you mean that you create a white list of sites that your router will allow traffic?

Yes, exactly that.  For example I can forward port 5900 for VNC so I have remote access to my computer, but only from my office.

canucks4life
Leader

Nice work Mango don't suppose there is a workaround to disable that extra WiFi 5G SSID broadcast for OptikTVxxxx kind of pointless for Internet only subs.

Hopefully there is an option to disable it in a future Firmware update.

@canucks4life wrote:

Nice work Mango don't suppose there is a workaround to disable that extra WiFi 5G SSID broadcast for OptikTVxxxx kind of pointless for Internet only subs.

Isn't this the VEN501? Unplug it if you don't use TV? You can disable every wifi signal Telus throws at you. I use the T3200M as well and have its WIFI turned right off, the telus TV boxes run through powerline 2000 adapters since house isnt wired COAX for MOCA, but nothing needs to or is using the telus WIFI. Behind my own Port 1 forwarded to a FreeBSD (pfSense) router which controls all firewall and routeing operations as well as links to a Netgear AC3200 WIFI being used as an access point.  Basically all that accesses that Netgear AP are my couple TV's direct WIFI to DLNA server and my iPhone.

@Foonus wrote:

@canucks4life wrote:

Isn't this the VEN501? Unplug it if you don't use TV? You can disable every wifi signal Telus throws at you. I use the T3200M as well and have its WIFI turned right off, the telus TV boxes run through powerline 2000 adapters since house isnt wired COAX for MOCA, but nothing needs to or is using the telus WIFI. Behind my own Port 1 forwarded to a FreeBSD (pfSense) router which controls all firewall and routeing operations as well as links to a Netgear AC3200 WIFI being used as an access point.  Basically all that accesses that Netgear AP are my couple TV's direct WIFI to DLNA server and my iPhone.

Sorry VEN501? I just have the one box T3200M previous equipment was T2200H + WEB6000Q on bonded Internet 50. I'm using new T3200M as my only WiFi router now since it has excellent dual band range in our condo compared to my old D-link DIR-860L. Also using MoCA wired network on two coax lines.

I noticed on my devices smartphone/iPad under available WiFi networks there is third SSID named OptikTV1506 on 5G band along with TELUS1506-5G and TELUS1506-2.4G. It is not listed under Actiontec wireless config and will not authenticate with default pw. Although it is not in use (no IPTV) would be nice to disable since it overlaps on same 5G band channel.

I would be in the same scenario soon (i.e. internet only), and would like to see the OptikTV  5G WIFI be turned off (if possible).  Maybe this is something that Telus can do remotely if it does not appear on the T3200M user configuration screen?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@SCo wrote:

I would be in the same scenario soon (i.e. internet only), and would like to see the OptikTV  5G WIFI be turned off (if possible).  Maybe this is something that Telus can do remotely if it does not appear on the T3200M user configuration screen?

This may be a great topic to add to the Ideas section, folks!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

@SCo wrote:

Found a setting under Wireless, WPS, 5G and can select OptikTVxxxx SSID from dropdown however there is no option to disable just a Connect button to pair wireless STB.

***UPDATE*** I passed the issue along via chat hopefully they'll have a disable SSID button on next update.

WPS.jpg

Yes, I had my internet 150 installed today.  Telus tech confirmed that the OptikTV SSID cannot be turn-off.  Getting download 160Mbps and upload 149Mbps with T3200M router, Alcatel Lucent 240 G ONT.  So pretty satisfied with the fibre for internet 😉 Phone remain as copper, and no UPS provided which is fine with me.

@SCo wrote:

Yes, I had my internet 150 installed today.  Telus tech confirmed that the OptikTV SSID cannot be turn-off.  Getting download 160Mbps and upload 149Mbps with T3200M router, Alcatel Lucent 240 G ONT.  So pretty satisfied with the fibre for internet 😉 Phone remain as copper, and no UPS provided which is fine with me.

Nice was that speed test done through MoCA? Did the tech provide any adapters?

No, I had an electrician pre-wire the Cat 5e.  It was a difficult job, but he did it.  Took 8 hours, because I made an ethernet loop.  Garage (ONT) to basement (Router), to second floor (WiFi AP), back to garage (WiFi AP for the car).  Tech will bring the WEB6200 tomorrow, it was out of stock.