cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Condo Ethernet Port Setup

Torcida7
Neighbour

Hello,

I just got telus fiber up and running in my condo unit. This condo came pre-wired with Ethernet ports in the rooms to work with the fiber connection. I have tried connecting the LAN ports from the telus router into the patch panel as shown in the picture but I cant seem to get any connection from the wall port to any device. Am I missing something? Thanks for the help.

IMG-5147.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Nighthawk wrote:

If it's brand new, the builder might still be able to send an electrician if they're still working on the building, like mine was.

Even if not brand new, the builder may still be responsible to corrrect under new home warranty requirements.

BTW, my guess is one end is wired to the Ethernet A standard, and the other to Ethernet B.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Ummm.... there are no connections in the photo between the router and the lines to the rooms. You need to get short patch cables to run between the router and the black connectors near the middle of the cabinet.

You can check connectivity by plugging a computer directly into the router to confirm you have internet access.

NFtoBC

I didnt include it in the picture, but i've tried running cat 5e cables from the router (LAN port) to the black connections in the cabinet. I've tried each of the 8 ports in the cabinet as a trial and error attempt at figuring out which one leads to each room in the condo. But nothing has worked. I also removed the faceplate from the wall in the rooms to make sure the wiring was connected. 

I do get connectivity when i hook up my laptop directly to the router. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Then I think it is time to call an electrician. If it works when your computer is connected directly to the router, but not in the various rooms, it sounds like the wiring is improperly connected. If you are comfortable with it, you could confirm the colour coding is matched at both ends.

NFtoBC

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Some additional thoughts...

• are both the modem and the Nokia fiber box plugged into an outlet?  I can see one device is plugged in with the photo.  However the second device does not appear to be plugged in.
  • can you see lights to both devices?
  • Can you get wifi on your mobile devices right now?
  • what happens if you plug your laptop or computer directly into ports 1 to 4?  Can the computer see the internet?

Yes everything is connected correctly. Wifi Works, plugging directly into the router works. I believe I need to get someone to come look at my condo wiring now. Thanks for all the help! 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I know when I first got my condo a few of the ethernet runs to the rooms were not wired correctly and I had to get them fixed. If it's brand new, the builder might still be able to send an electrician if they're still working on the building, like mine was.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Nighthawk wrote:

If it's brand new, the builder might still be able to send an electrician if they're still working on the building, like mine was.

Even if not brand new, the builder may still be responsible to corrrect under new home warranty requirements.

BTW, my guess is one end is wired to the Ethernet A standard, and the other to Ethernet B.

NFtoBC