Disable band steering on Arcadyan Fibre AC Gateway (TELUS Wi-Fi Hub)

Tornado15550
Connector

Hey guys,

I have some 2.4Ghz-only wireless devices that I'd like to connect to the Arcadyan Fibre AC Gateway, but I'd like all my other devices to connect to the 5 Ghz frequency exclusively. Is there any way to split the wifi into separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs like the T3200M? This way I can connect the legacy devices to the 2.4Ghz channel, and all the other devices can connect to the 5Ghz channel. If that's not possible, is there any way to move/force the devices to different frequencies (say via MAC address) in the gateway GUI?

I ask this because while some of my devices have a "prefer 5Ghz networks" toggle, most of them don't and they end up connecting to the 2.4Ghz frequency by default due to the increased signal strength which results in slower throughput.

sector7g
Resident

Did you ever solve this? I need to do the same thing.

HomeFiWi
Resident

I'm having the same problem with the new "Telus Wi-Fi Hub" and connecting older 2.4GHz legacy devices.

There doesn't seem to be any way to disable Smart Steering (I think it's called) or any way to send out a separate 2.4GHz Wi-Fi dedicated radio on this router.  I checked to modem/router administrative menus and it isn't available.

Can we possibly connect an older Wi-Fi router to one of the rear RJ-45 LAN ports on the back of the Telus Wi-Fi Hub and broadcast a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi signal that way (with a different name)?

I can't get several devices to work connect to this tri-band HUB including a V1 Chromecast, a weather station, etc.  Their sites seem to say to get my router to broadcast a separate 2.4 GHz-only signal and that seems impossible with the current firmware of this Telus Wi-Fi Hub.  (One step forward in technology, two steps back.)

Community Power User
Community Power User

@HomeFiWi wrote:

Can we possibly connect an older Wi-Fi router to one of the rear RJ-45 LAN ports on the back of the Telus Wi-Fi Hub and broadcast a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi signal that way (with a different name)?

Yes, you can do this, without difficulty, if you wish. Unfortunately, the ability to do this with Telus' Boost Mesh Network devices was lost with the upgrade to the new Arcadian (sp?) device.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Lodaka
Neighbour

What was this Arcadian device that you upgraded to? I was told that Telus Wifi Hub was the newest modem. I am also having trouble with this and would love to find out more information as this Hub is severely limited in its user settings.

Lodaka
Neighbour

Wait, sorry, I read your post wrong. My concern, other than the 2.4ghz issue, that I have, is also there doesn't seem to be any ability to do router bridging on this unit.