2.4g and 5G

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

Hello everyone! 

My internet was was working perfectly fine but around 2 weeks ago my 2.4g and 5g suddenly disappeared for some reason. I thought waiting it out would fix it but nope. Before I could disable or enable 2.4g and 5g in my wireless basic settings but 2.4g and 5g disappeared from there too. Does anyone know why this has happened?

i have a T3200M modem

I feel like there's supposed to be an "enabled" status beside SSID 2.4G + 5G like SmartSteering ??

IMG_2683.PNG

Thank you for the help!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hello,

If the modem was reset it would default back to smart steering being enabled which means your 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz are amalgamated into one network.  To get the two networks back, you would need to log into the Actiontec (192.168.1.254) and disable Smart Steering under wireless settings.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hello,

If the modem was reset it would default back to smart steering being enabled which means your 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz are amalgamated into one network.  To get the two networks back, you would need to log into the Actiontec (192.168.1.254) and disable Smart Steering under wireless settings.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Resident

Thank you so much! That worked! Smiley Very HappySmiley LOLRobot tongue

THANK YOU

edit- btw I'd like to ask an extra question 😮

Does smart steering affect internet speeds in any way? My internet usually feels faster on 5G (never tried 2.4G) and it felt slow and unresponsive at times with smart steering on but I'm not sure if that's just my delusion. 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, 5G wireless is faster, however, even 2.4 G is faster than most internet connections to the outside world.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"