cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cellular network issue with "5G Standalone"

Yaqiong
Organizer

After I upgraded to 17.4, I found that there seemed to be some issue with my cellular service when using several apps. People kept saying there is nothing but adding the 5G+ icon in the IOS 17.4, but I believe it's the Telus network issue.

In short, I'm experiencing high latency when sending and receiving videos and pics in some apps (WeChat and QQ), and I cannot play the WarCraft Rumble game. Whenever I open it with the cellular network, it shows "cannot reach the server."

I tried to check the IPs assigned to me and my wife by using the ip.sb website, and it turns out we have different IPs.

On my end, the IP is 207.194.27.141, and the hostname is nat-207-194-27-141.wireless.telus.com

On my wife's end, the IP is 64.114.52.17 with no hostname.

I also tried to switch to another APN, sp.telus.com, but no luck.

After I dug up a little more, someone pointed out it might be related to the 464XLAT, which I don't really know about. Pushing some kind of profile to the iPhone to disable the IPV6 might help, but I don't have the Apple configurator to test with.

Updates: I tried switching between LTE and 5G and getting different IPs. And narrow down the issue to be with the "5G Standalone" feature. If I don't enable the "5G Standalone", the IP assigned would be different, the hostname would not be started with "nat-xxxx". Then everything works just fine. As long as "5G Standalone" is enabled and get the special ip assigned, issue occurs.

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yaqiong
Organizer

Yeah, thanks for the advice.

I have reached the support team and went through all the resetting, changing APN, and resetting on his end. None of these works. The only way is to turn off the "5G SA". If I switch to LTE or normal 5G, then turn on and down the airplane mode, everything back to normal. Once I turn on the 5G SA, and get the new IP assigned, the issue occurs.

The agent couldn't do anything but asked me to disable the 5G SA, and he said he had reported the issue for further investigation.  

FYI, I have tried to push the profile of disabling the IPv6 on cellular network to my phone and it could help resolve the issue if I want to turn the 5G SA on.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

El-Eric

Hi Yaqiong!

I would recommend resetting your network settings but keep in mind that this will forget any and all Wi-Fi networks that you've connected to in the past.

If that doesn't work, this is a perfect question to direct you to our tech support team as there are many factors to consider when troubleshooting the mobile network. You can reach them by calling *611

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

This sounds like something you'd want to check with our Mobility support team about directly. They're available at 1-866-558-2273 or by visiting the nearest TELUS store.

Yaqiong
Organizer

Yeah, thanks for the advice.

I have reached the support team and went through all the resetting, changing APN, and resetting on his end. None of these works. The only way is to turn off the "5G SA". If I switch to LTE or normal 5G, then turn on and down the airplane mode, everything back to normal. Once I turn on the 5G SA, and get the new IP assigned, the issue occurs.

The agent couldn't do anything but asked me to disable the 5G SA, and he said he had reported the issue for further investigation.  

FYI, I have tried to push the profile of disabling the IPv6 on cellular network to my phone and it could help resolve the issue if I want to turn the 5G SA on.

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the update, and letting us know that our team has escalated the issue for further investigation. Please advise if they get back to you with any updates.