cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated Pik box needs constant rebooting

dfrancey
Helpful Neighbour

I hope this Pik update gets better.

All too often it loses the wifi signal, drops out of a program and up pops the message "Sorry an error occurred. Please try again." (This, despite the device telling me my wifi signal is "excellent")

Sometimes it reconnects, sometimes it doesn't. Turn the box on and off, unplug it, try a reboot, etc. 

I should not have to do this every time I want to watch television.

The old app was a bit slow, but at least it was reliable. 

Now it's an adventure, to say the least.

If I was a skeptical person, I'd say Telus pushed out this new box and app just to get me to give up and buy the more expensive Optik option. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dominicl
Advisor

I just had a case where every channel I tried to play ended-up with a generic error message. I force-stopped the PikTV app and it worked after. Maybe something to try next time instead of rebooting the device: Settings -> Device preferences -> Apps -> PikTV -> Force-Stop, then Open

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

dominicl
Advisor
Is your box overheating by any chance?

dfrancey
Helpful Neighbour

It doesn't feel overly warm. It will work for a while, then suddenly it loses the internet connection. There's no issue with my internet, all my other devices work. Pik box requires continuous restarting.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Test it hard wired if you can..

For the record, I have seen a "no internet" screen a few times when returning after a long time watching other sources on my TV. However, the retry button always worked for me. It felt like the box missed a ping at some point in the past and left the popup there without retrying.

Do you watch Pik TV on other devices as well? I had the app installed on my Apple TV box for a while and it felt like both boxes were fighting over a single allowed session.

dfrancey
Helpful Neighbour

That's odd. I only watch Pik on the Telus box, so that couldn't be the issue.

dominicl
Advisor
I agree with @WestCoasterBC about trying it on Ethernet. The WiFi signal might be strong but dropping intermittently (could be the box’s fault or the wifi router)

Also, can you describe your typical usage and any insight about when the problem is more likely to happen?

dominicl
Advisor

I just had a case where every channel I tried to play ended-up with a generic error message. I force-stopped the PikTV app and it worked after. Maybe something to try next time instead of rebooting the device: Settings -> Device preferences -> Apps -> PikTV -> Force-Stop, then Open

dfrancey
Helpful Neighbour
THanks, I'll give that a try.