cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on apps & watching later.

Skeff
Just Moved In

Looking for confirmation:

1) I cannot watch TV through a channel's website via Telus account as a Pik customer, whether I'm home or not?

This alone sounds like a make or break component right here if that's true.  I suspect many people will find this out after the install is done, because sales people likely either don't know this major set-back or don't want it known.  Truthfully, if I could have any kind of TV service, it would be no device or install and just the login credentials to watch via apps and websites.  I'm sure I'm not alone on that considering how big Netflix's user base is and their content is old or exclusive to them for anything new.

2) I cannot record content for later watching, but I can watch previous shows through the Pik device?

• If true, is all content available or only some shows on some channels?  I like late shows like The Daily Show and The Late Show, but am not up when their on.  If I can watch anything later, is there a delay like HBO content is for Canadian customers?
  • If true, is this considered using app data (affecting my internet data levels)?

I watch a good amount of TV, but as a student my availability to watch stuff as it airs is not always the, so I often catch up on the weekends.

4 REPLIES 4

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum
  • PikTV does not have a PVR.  Telus Optik service does for those who do a lot of time shifting.
  • PikTV does offer Video on Demand.  So you can watch content at a later time.  Yes there is a few days content delay.

I think you will be happier with the Optik service in your situation.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Skeff wrote:

Looking for confirmation:

1) I cannot watch TV through a channel's website via Telus account as a Pik customer, whether I'm home or not?

There is no browser on the PikTV device, but you can cast from your mobile device to it or use Apps which you can download from the Google Play Store. You can also watch such channels in the usual fashion when you are away from home, as I assume you would not be carrying your TV with you. You can also stream most of the PikTV offerings on a portable or mobile device.

This alone sounds like a make or break component right here if that's true.  I suspect many people will find this out after the install is done, because sales people likely either don't know this major set-back or don't want it known.  Truthfully, if I could have any kind of TV service, it would be no device or install and just the login credentials to watch via apps and websites.  I'm sure I'm not alone on that considering how big Netflix's user base is and their content is old or exclusive to them for anything new.

You can still watch those shows you currently watch by using the same tools you currently use; having PikTV adds more options. Many folks may not already have a streaming or casting device on their TV, and the PikTV device covers that. Bell went with no device for their AltTV. Time will tell which is the better option.

2) I cannot record content for later watching, but I can watch previous shows through the Pik device?

• If true, is all content available or only some shows on some channels?  I like late shows like The Daily Show and The Late Show, but am not up when their on.  If I can watch anything later, is there a delay like HBO content is for Canadian customers?
  • If true, is this considered using app data (affecting my internet data levels)?

You can watch live TV, and a large library of VOD. The availability of shows as VOD is entirely up to the copyright holder. All content viewed through the PikTV App on the PikTV device is zero rated, including VOD.

I watch a good amount of TV, but as a student my availability to watch stuff as it airs is not always the, so I often catch up on the weekends.

If you want certainty of viewing certain shows, which may be on channels not offered by the PikTV App, then Optik is the better choice, as you can record those shows.

If you have a short list of 'must watch' shows, one of the Neighbours may be able to let you know if they are available as VOD.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

J980432
Connector

For your first question (i think others had misunderstood what you were asking), the answer is no, you cannot access content other than through the Pik TV box or the Pik TV smartphone/tablet app. There is no way to connect with services like HBO Go, CNN Go, or even Crave TV using their third-party apps. (Those services require an Optik TV login, which you don't get with Pik TV).

There is a help document that confirms this: https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/pik-tv-subscription-on-other-apps-tmn-go-crave-tv-etc

The inability to use Crave TV through the Crave app is the most perplexing, since it's $7 to subscribe to Crave through Pik TV (which you can only access through Pik TV) or $7.99 to get full access to Crave including the Crave smartphone/tablet apps and browser.  Why anyone would subscribe to Crave as a Pik TV add-on is beyond me,

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

One part of the problem is CraveTV / Bell is refusing to release an Android TV version of their app.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂