Pik TV is now on Apple TV

Community Power User
Community Power User
It’s a software issue (app) not hardware. It requires a update one which hopefully comes soon.
iPIK
Resident

Hi, I too created an account here to check on the status of the Black Screen issue.  Has the issue been resolved yet?  I am experiencing the black screen problem (not necessary at program change) on the ATV PikTV App.

I have a second issue that is similar to @YVRcub, when I try to play this particular channel (LSTV) on iPhone/iPad (through PikTV App and web browser), it says "Sorry, playback is only available when connected to your TELUS Internat at home" and I am on my home Internet.  I am able to play it on my Laptop web browser and PiKTV on ATV though.

Nivende2
Advisor
Not been resolved but it does help to close all open apps before starting up the PIK app on your ATV.

How to force-close an app with the Siri Remote on Apple TV
Turn on Apple TV. While on the Home screen, double-click the TV button on the Siri Remote. ... Swipe to the right on the trackpad to find the app you wish to force- close. Swipe up on the trackpad to force the app to close.
themikea
Connector

Does force closing the Pik TV app temporarily stop the black screen / freezing for anyone?  Doesn’t seem to help my situation.

Last night I was getting non stop freezing / black screen on Food Network approx every 1-3 mins.  I tried force closing the Pik TV app and all other Apple TV apps, rebooting the Apple TV and even signing out and back into the Pik TV app, nothing worked.  Other channels I tried at the time seemed fine.  Today I saw the same behaviour on another channel (Knowledge Network).  It would freeze and go to a black screen every couple of minutes.  Tried another channel, and it has been streaming fine.

One interesting thing was that at the time I was seeing issues with Food Network last night, I also tried on my iPhone and was getting freezing also on both Wifi and LTE.  At this point I am unsure if it is the app itself, or just issues with individual channels at different times?  Really at a loss.

Nivende2
Advisor
I would call Telus if you are getting problems across platforms. I never had that problem.
themikea
Connector
I spoke with support last night. After a bit of troubleshooting with the Apple TV app they said they put a request in to do a reset on my profile which could take 1-2 days. So I guess I just have to wait and see if anything changes. I have no problem watching certain channels for hours, CBC and CTV 2 seem fine, others like Food Network can barely go 5 minutes without getting a black screen.

Really disappointed with PikTV so far. Will have to cancel if this isn’t fixed.
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

@themikea Hi! I'm on the Product team for Pik TV on Apple TV and wanted to let you know that we identified root cause and we are working on the fix. Once we test it out and confirm it resolves the problem we'll be providing an app update to resolve the issue - stay tuned!

Nivende2
Advisor
Great, love the ATV app. Test the new app on hockey games too. Lately I have been getting instant black screen on the Oilers game (masochist) . Usually the game is offered on more than one channel and by trying all availability for Oiler game channels I was able to get the game going. HGTV goes black after an hour or so. I aways close then open the app when I watch PIK.

Sent from my iPhone
clint17
Coach

Hi

Could that be an issue with the Android box too? Would be nice if somebody looked finally at that p.. too! For the last four months nobody seemed to really care.

Any help to get a halfway working product would be nice.

clint

Nivende2
Advisor
I am using a Apple TV on PIK.

Sent from my iPhone
rcrh
Connector

What version of Apple TV with PikTV run on?  Only the current 4k version?  Non-4k 4th gen?  3rd gen?

Thanks.

Community Power User
Community Power User
It will only run on Apple TV 4K and 4th generation only.
Nivende2
Advisor

Any news on the ATV app fix ? I have been away for a while but when I came back the black screen issue is still  there.  Just an annoyance not a showstopper.  thx

clint17
Coach

You are not alone. Nothing fixed - as expected - with the "new" version, for the media box too. Just don't spent a single penny on "more capable hardware" until word is out from somebody, that PikTV is finally fixed and working, which most likely is not going to happen before the pos is dead.

Telus - the future sucks!

Nivende2
Advisor
I seem to have gotten through a hockey game with no black screen on my Apple TV. If I get a black screen I close the PIK app and restart it again . Not ideal but I still think that Pik is still a good cord cutter solution (if you have an Apple TV).

Sent from my iPhone