cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pik TV Media Box to be replaced with new TELUS TV Digital Box ?

Lans
Just Moved In

https://www.telus.com/en/ab/support/article/pik-tv-is-getting-an-upgrade-rsvp?intcmp=tcom_home_ban_f...

In information in the above link states that:

1. The existing Pik TV Media Box will be replaced with a brand new TELUS TV Digital Box, provided as a free rental as long as you remain a TELUS TV customer. 

2. After May 31st, your existing Pik TV Media Box will no longer support Pik TV.

Questions: 

1. After the replacement,  will customers get to keep the old Pik TV Media Box or will they have to return it to Telus ?

2. Will the new TELUS TV Digital Box  forever remain a property of Telus that needs to returned upon cancellation of service ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

@Lans @Nighthawk 

1. The old Pik TV Media Box is customer-owned. Either TELUS sold you the device (perhaps with some discounts) or you picked it up on the resale market, so it's yours to do with as you please. However, after May 31st, the Pik TV app will no longer function, but other 3rd party applications (YouTube, Netflix, Prime Video) should continue to work for as long as those companies choose to support. Google will no longer support the current Android P operating system with updates or security patches, but it should keep working just as old mobile phones do after they fall out of support. Since the new box will do everything (and more) that the old box does, we recommend recycling it, but it's up to you.

2. The new box is property of TELUS and will be required to be returned to TELUS when you cancel your TV service. The $5 rental charge will be waived for as long as you remain a customer.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

There are details here: https://forum.telus.com/t5/Home/Pik-TV-is-Getting-an-Upgrade/ta-p/124170

As of May 31, 2022, your old Media Box will no longer be supported and can’t be used to watch Pik TV. It can be recycled at your local electronics recycling depot.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

@Lans @Nighthawk 

1. The old Pik TV Media Box is customer-owned. Either TELUS sold you the device (perhaps with some discounts) or you picked it up on the resale market, so it's yours to do with as you please. However, after May 31st, the Pik TV app will no longer function, but other 3rd party applications (YouTube, Netflix, Prime Video) should continue to work for as long as those companies choose to support. Google will no longer support the current Android P operating system with updates or security patches, but it should keep working just as old mobile phones do after they fall out of support. Since the new box will do everything (and more) that the old box does, we recommend recycling it, but it's up to you.

2. The new box is property of TELUS and will be required to be returned to TELUS when you cancel your TV service. The $5 rental charge will be waived for as long as you remain a customer.

nroussin
Just Moved In

I called Telus support yesterday and was advised that if my original box was not a rental the replacement box will not be a rental either and does not need to be returned.

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @nroussin 

I apologize for the confusion; it seems that the representative that you spoke with was mistaken.

ALL TELUS TV Digital Boxes are rentals and are the property of TELUS and will need to be returned when you cancel your TV service. For customers who had/have a Pik TV Media Box, they're being provided as a free rental. All legacy Pik TV Media Boxes are customer-owned, and you can do with these as you wish, but they will no longer support the Pik TV app after May 31 2022, and will no longer be supported by Google with software updates and security patches. 3rd party apps may continue to function.

Twowheeler
Organizer
Will the app continue to function on Apple TV 4k?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes. No change there.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

popperoni
Organizer

When can we expect the new box for pik tv? I purchased my pik tv box that you intend to kill off at the end of May. It's now May 31st and we have yet to even receive an email regarding this change. I personally have kept my pik box shut off so it won't be killed by any updates and have been getting by with nvidia shield that received a horrible broken update that now requires we kill the app and relaunch it before it will fully load each use.