cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Telus digital tv box for pik tv

Sbreakin
Friendly Neighbour
Hi,
How does one order a new Telus digital tv box for pik Tv?

I'm new to Telus having moved everything (internet,.landline and pikTv) over earlier in April. When i transferred I figured I'd be able to watch pikTv on our new LG tv with an app or digital box as seems to be mentioned on Telus website.
However the rep said that the box was no longer offered but I see recent posts about a new box.

We're a Google household with a new LG tv.
Unfortunately we don't own an apple box and prefer not to get one. There's no app and web browser doesn't seem to work for an LG OS tv.
While I can watch on my Pixel phone or 1 ipad but I was hoping to get a digital box to watch on new big screen tv.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

The TELUS TV Digital Box is currently not available for new Pik TV customers. It is only being provided as a replacement to the Pik TV Media Box at this time as the legacy Pik TV Media Box is running on an operating system that is no longer supported by Google.

For now, if you want to enjoy Pik TV on your TV, you'll need to connect a compatible device - Apple TV, Nvidia Shield, Chromecast with Google TV; the latter is the most cost-effective.

The development team is working on bringing new features and ways to watch to Pik TV including Airplay, an LG TV app, etc. but I don't have anything to share at this time. Current browser support is only for laptops/desktops and not WebOS.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

The TELUS TV Digital Box is currently not available for new Pik TV customers. It is only being provided as a replacement to the Pik TV Media Box at this time as the legacy Pik TV Media Box is running on an operating system that is no longer supported by Google.

For now, if you want to enjoy Pik TV on your TV, you'll need to connect a compatible device - Apple TV, Nvidia Shield, Chromecast with Google TV; the latter is the most cost-effective.

The development team is working on bringing new features and ways to watch to Pik TV including Airplay, an LG TV app, etc. but I don't have anything to share at this time. Current browser support is only for laptops/desktops and not WebOS.

Sbreakin
Friendly Neighbour

Hi KHR.

Thanks for the reply. 

I totally understand prioritizing current customers as it appears most bought their Telus media boxes (~$100).

Q: Is there a timeline for new customers to be able to access the new Telus media boxes?

When researching my move, it did appear that the digital media boxes were an option as well as the tv browser. (I realized that there was no LG OS app).  For now I can watch on my phone or our old tv in basement with a Google TV (2020).

It sounds like the new Telus media box is best option as the recent forum review makes it sound like it prioritizes PikTV as primary menu.

Google tv (with Chromecast 2020) is a low cost option but that will have another full smart tv like interface, which I'm betting will confuse others in the household (as they'd be two full smart tv like interfaces with 2 Netflix, 2 Prime, etc.

As an aside, if I do buy Google tv (2020) I could figure out which works best - my LG OS apps or Google TV (2020).

Sbreakin
Friendly Neighbour

PS: Once customers with old media boxes have been upgraded it should be fairly quick/ easy to send to new customers as I'm sure Telus would purchase them in bulk (& would hopefully order extra for faulty boxes & future customers & besides Android boxes not usually too expensive).

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @Sbreakin 

Unfortunately, there is no timeline for making the TELUS TV Digital Box available to new Pik TV customers. You are correct that existing customers who purchased their Pik TV Media Boxes were prioritized for new devices, as their existing equipment will no longer be supported by Google, and we needed to ensure continuity of service. 

Since mid-2020, Pik TV has been primarily a 'bring your own device' service, focusing on Apple TV and Android TV products. TELUS stopped selling Pik TV Media Boxes in January 2021 since the equipment was nearing the end of its supported life.

If you want a provided set-top box and not have to use a 3rd party device like Chromecast with Google TV, Optik TV might be a better bet, but I recognize there is a price premium.

Calgarymac
Just Moved In

I've been a Pik TV customer from very early days but have yet to receive my replacement box (yes I confirmed my shipping address weeks ago).  Since the old box is no longer expected to work next week, I'm getting nervous.  Will I get a replacement in time, Telus?

Hi @Calgarymac 

Have you received any emails with order details/shipping confirmations or tracking information? If yes, your delivery may have been attempted and your box might be at a Canada Post location or UPS access point. Past 7 days it may have been returned to TELUS. Our shipping partners do their best to leave delivery notification slips, but wind, rain and helpful neighbours make this an imperfect process. There may have been an issue with your account or the order for the new box; we have seen shipping delays for customers that had a move scheduled or if their account was suspended. I'd recommend reaching out to an agent to track your box down if you don't have an email with tracking details (check your junk/spam folders!).  

I’ve been monitoring my spam folder (and have not received shipping confirmation), I’ve lived at the same address for decades,I get mail delivered to my door and my account has been in good standing forever. So none of these ideas apply.

Do you have any tips on how to contact an agent without waiting on hold for an interminable amount of time?

...Ken

Sent from my iPhone

viperdiablo1
Advisor
Anyone have the issue with HDR being always on? Most streaming devices have the option to match dynamic range. So SDR content will be in SDR and when you play something with HDR it automatically switches. With HDR on regular tv Channels don’t look the greatest . Too bright and colors are not quite right.