cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jerky Picture - Hockey on Sportsnet

rcb
Friendly Neighbour

Why, while watching hockey on Sportsnet channels, does the picture appear jerky at times throughout the whole broadcast.

Sometimes the picture freezes completely for a couple of seconds, the audio is still available.

I have tinkered with the 'True Motion' settings on my LG TV, but this does not make any difference.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

I've seen this issue in the past, and I found that force stopping and re-loading the app helped quite a bit. From the Android TV home screen, go to Settings --> Apps --> Pik TV --> force stop. You could also try clearing the data and cache on the box to squeeze every last bit of performance out of it. Same path as force stop, but choose clear data and clear cache instead of force stop. You'll need to log back into the Pik app, so I'd recommend doing all of this about 5 minutes before the game starts. 

At least in Edmonton, the hockey isn't unwatchable because of the team...Vancouver is a different story.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

What speed of internet do you have, and what device are you using to view PikTV?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

rcb
Friendly Neighbour

I have a Telus Internet 75 plan.

I am viewing on an LG webOS TV UK6300BUB.

The signal has to go through a PIK TV set top box (still waiting for Chromecast support).

QMuzikDirektor
Organizer

Same problem here, where Speedtest routinely reports up and down speeds around 950Mbps. The problem is happening on a brand new 55 inch TCL Roku TV. Strangely enough, the 4K preview channels (Slow TV Kamloops Flyfishing and Forest Bathing) do not have that problem - although admittedly, there's very little movement going on on those channels. Having said that, I suspect it's a source problem rather than a TV problem.

I see it as well, only on sports channels. I suspect it's at the source feed from the networks.

scottalx
Friendly Neighbour

Same is happening to me in Edmonton with the telus provided pik tv box (hard wired ethernet and fibre internet). But I'll add that I noticed this happening during the world juniors back in December and that was on TSN. And I've also got the same issue with hockey games that are on CBC and CityTV, so I don't think it's just a Sportsnet issue, but rather a Hockey on Pik TV issue. I don't have an apple TV box to see if the issue is there too, but I do have the Pik TV app on my android phone and might try watching part of a game on there to see if it has the same jerkiness. If it's better on the phone I might consider getting a different android TV box to continue using the service, but considering Hockey on this box last year was OK, I'd prefer if Telus just reverted back to however they had it set last year.

It's a shame that this jerky picture almost makes games un-watchable, and live sports (primarily hockey) are really the only reason I subscribe to live TV.

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

I've seen this issue in the past, and I found that force stopping and re-loading the app helped quite a bit. From the Android TV home screen, go to Settings --> Apps --> Pik TV --> force stop. You could also try clearing the data and cache on the box to squeeze every last bit of performance out of it. Same path as force stop, but choose clear data and clear cache instead of force stop. You'll need to log back into the Pik app, so I'd recommend doing all of this about 5 minutes before the game starts. 

At least in Edmonton, the hockey isn't unwatchable because of the team...Vancouver is a different story.

scottalx
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for the suggestions KHR, I was unaware of the Force Stop option. Unfortunately neither that nor the clear cach option resloved the jerky picture issues. That said, I was able to suffer through long to watch the Oilers shutoot the Canucks last night! 😉 

In my case, it's not an Android app or Pik-- it's Optik TV via a Telus box on a TCL Roku TV

rcb
Friendly Neighbour

I tried the clear data and clear cache also.

Still jerky at times. Some games worse then others.

Seems to me games originating from US networks like NESN, Fox, aren't as bad as the Canadian Sportsnet broadcasts.

I have this problem occasionally too. Apple TV on wifi with PIK. Maybe a little more prevalent on CBC ..not a sure.

rcb
Friendly Neighbour

I have tried watching hockey on PikTV via the web browser on my laptop plugging it into my TV with an hdmi cable and it works fine, no jerky picture.

The jerky picture issue must be related to the old fashion set top box they make us use.

Telus needs to make Chromecast available!

Cast from phone or tablet app to TV, no need for the old technology.

After all it is 2021.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Unfortunately, the ability to cast is determined by the copyright holder, not the carrier / ISP.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

A game on Pik Sportsnet was stalling but not on HNIC on free Gem.