cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant get pik tv set up

MandyMac
Organizer

Hi. We just switched back to telus internet and got pik tv with it. Didn't realize how complicated it was when i chose it. Didn't realize we wouldn't have a way to get it on our tv. Kinda thought it was going to be atleast similar to having cable. Anyway, i guess the only way to get pik to play on our tv is with chromecast. We didnt even know what chromecast was. Our tech said thats the only way to make it work. Went and bought it and have been trying for days to get this to work. Realized that its a problem with pik tv and not the chromecast because we can play youtube and twitch from our phones and laptop no problem (actually dont even need to use chromecast i dont think for that).

So, what are we doing wrong? Can someone please help.. When we go to watch pik tv on our laptop or iphone there is no way to connect to the tv. Online it says we need google tv.. what is that? The google home app? Sorry i am so confused and frustrating.. we dont use google stuff so this is all new to me.

3 REPLIES 3

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The only way to use your laptop to watch on your TV is to connect it directly to the TV, using it as a monitor.

PikTV Apps work on Apple TV, Nvidia Shield, certain Sony TVs, and the specific Google Chromecast with Google TV device.  However, you must install the App - you can't cast to the device.

Instructions for setting up the Google Chromecast with Google TV can be found here.

Which device is best for you may depend on if you are an Apple household, or Microsoft/Android household.

Telus is expected to be releasing its own PikTV box in the near future, but that does not help you just now.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Sbreakin
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks for expressing your experience and the community reply.
I was another family that switched from Shaw in April.
We are super happy with the landline, internet and the concept of PikTv.

But was surprised how tricky it was to watch on new LG OLED tv.
The PikTV webpage, FAQ and promo emails I get, all mention the pikTv Digital Media box and it sounds great for non-Apple houses.

The review of the new digital box sounds great (fast, easy to use and with a Telus home screen) and patiently waiting for distribution.

Fyi. I was able to get a Google Chromecast with Tv to use but my family gets mixed up having 2 "smart home" screens (LG Tv's & Google Tv) with 2 Netflix, 2 Crave but only 1 PikTv.
(So I've used '2 devices' for Crave, Netflix for the same LG tv)

Telus_TV
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi MandyMac, 

Check out the information here on ways to watch Pik TV. In short, you can access it via Apple TV, Android TV, mobile app and at watchpiktv.com. Pik TV does not currently support casting, but if you don't have compatible hardware, you could always connect your laptop to your TV via HDMI cable. The Android TV app is available on Chromecast with Google TV, Sony TV and Nvidia Shield.

There is a difference between 'Chromecast' and 'Chromecast with Google TV'; the latter is a streaming device that comes with a remote control on which you can download apps like Pik TV. The former acts more like a streaming receiver. Note that Pik TV does not support Chromecast, but IS available to download on the Chromecast with Google TV device. Check out this article for instructions on how to install the Pik TV app on Chromecast with Google TV.