cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio Receiver and Pik (Stereo output only no 5.1 or 7.1)

onetyme
Connector

Hello Everyone,

Just wondering if people have connected Pik to surround sound systems. I've plugged Pik into an older Pioneer VSX-30 via HDMI and can only receive stereo. There are no settings in the Pik menu to adjust the audio settings for output other than the SPDIF for Bitstream vs PCM. Wondering if my receiver is just not compatible with Pik. I'll try switching and using SPDIF later tonight. Anyone else "hearing" any problems.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Kyle_Geddes
Connector

There is no surround sound available with the content on Pik TV as far as I can tell. It will only output PCM 2.0 CH Stereo.

The Broadcom 7252 SoC is fully capable of multi channel audio in all formats, and is able to do any kind of pass-through - the limitation is with the Pik TV app itself.

Netflix is able to output 5.1 channel PCM via hdmi, and can output dolby digital 5.1 via bitstream on the SPDIF output - unfortunately, setting the SPDIF output to bitstream will disable android system sounds and all audio from pik tv, so you'd have to go back and forth in the settings all the time if you wanted to use this option.

In all cases, you are better off using the audio via HDMI (unless your receiver/amp, etc does not have HDMI).

With Kodi you can fully enjoy all formats with pass-through enabled, including AAC 6.1, DD5.1, 6.1, 7.1EX, HD, DTS-HD& EX etc.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Kyle_Geddes
Connector

There is no surround sound available with the content on Pik TV as far as I can tell. It will only output PCM 2.0 CH Stereo.

The Broadcom 7252 SoC is fully capable of multi channel audio in all formats, and is able to do any kind of pass-through - the limitation is with the Pik TV app itself.

Netflix is able to output 5.1 channel PCM via hdmi, and can output dolby digital 5.1 via bitstream on the SPDIF output - unfortunately, setting the SPDIF output to bitstream will disable android system sounds and all audio from pik tv, so you'd have to go back and forth in the settings all the time if you wanted to use this option.

In all cases, you are better off using the audio via HDMI (unless your receiver/amp, etc does not have HDMI).

With Kodi you can fully enjoy all formats with pass-through enabled, including AAC 6.1, DD5.1, 6.1, 7.1EX, HD, DTS-HD& EX etc.

View solution in original post

That's a shame that the app is only stereo. I'll test out VLC, Kodi and Netflix later today.

This is really disappointing. I installed PikTV today and noticed Stereo only while watching PikTV. I googled the issue and was hoping to find a solution.

PikTV may not be for me...

Having 5.1 or 7.1 audio would be a requirement in my opinion, to be competitive and current with audio technology.

@telus - can you please address this issue? Product roadmap and plans - it's what TELUS would ask of it's suppliers.