cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are the season and episode numbers in the guide information..?

canuck617
Friendly Neighbour

This is a question as to why the season and episode numbers are NOT included in the information on the guide?

As an example: Pawn Stars S18E17 Atomic Pawn 10/May/2021 (which was shown last night Tuesday Oct 5-2021 here in Canada)

This seems to me a basic, extremely simple idea that the ENTIRE world uses when describing information about each program. Go to any, literally any website that gives information about TV shows, like IMDB, TMDB and TVDB and every single one of them will list the season and the episode number, as well as the show title in the description of it.

So why in the world is that information NOT included in the telus on screen TV guide?

When program providers give information to cable tv providers, that specific information IS included with the information packet for each TV program, and I know this as to be a fact as I asked about it from a program provider and they told me that the season and episode numbers are included when they give that information to the companies that update guide information (shaw as example uses and outside company to update it's guide information).

So my question again, what is the reason why that information not included in the telus on screen TV guide? It sure is a whole lot easier to recall which season and episode number one has watched, as opposed to what could be a lengthy title and broadcast date.

Seems to me that this information isn't included because someone has decided that it is not needed? or that it costs to much money to include that information, if one is paying per letter or per word to add that information to the guide? Or it's just pure laziness from whomever sits and types in that information, and they just don't want to..?

I think that it is time to address this GLARING FAILURE and add this information to the telus on screen TV guide.

Getting tired of going searching the webpages to compare what it shown in the guide, to what the rest of the world uses, to see if I have watched something or not.

..and NO, the recording function to record only new episodes, does not mean that it is actually new to the viewer. Which opens another can of worms, why is it not included in the description as "new" or "repeat"? Shaw has no problem including that information, as well as the season and episode number.

Seems like an easy fix, so what are you waiting for..

15 REPLIES 15

Tominater
Just Moved In

Thank you !

I concur 100%. I recently switched from Shaw to Telus and was used to seeing witch season / episode was playing.

I am still in disbelief that that is not an option on the Telus guide as it is COMON SENSE !  

Even considering switching back ....

gavorner
Organizer

And yet, Telus does have that information, but for some reason it's not provided in the PVR listings. At this link, the episode numbers are provided in the episode details:

https://reachclient.proda.tlx.tv3cloud.com/#liveTvGuide

Gormy
Just Moved In

I just switched and is also my biggest complaint.  How do I know which order to watch episodes in?  If there's not a fix for this I also am going to switch back.

BobArthur
Ambassador

I switched over to Telus in April and not having the season and episode numbers listed is probably the biggest negative that I can think of when it comes to their TV service. I also don't like the green status bar remaining visible when you FF or Rewind although the bar disappears when you pause.  It's a bit hard getting used to since the status bar's functions are the exact opposite of what I had with SHAW for the last 20+ years.

The green progress bar is really annoying -- it's way bigger than necessary. Poor design, but not uncommon. However, it's easy to make it disappear during FF/REW with the BACK/EXIT button. This works for PAUSE as well.

Thanks for that bit of info - I just tried it and using the Back/Exit button does make the status bar disappear. I record a lot of sporting events and newscasts so I use the FF function a lot and this hack really helps. As for the pause function - I've got the 4K PVR and the green status bar disappears after a few seconds after hitting pause. 

xray
Hero

There is a request in the Idea section about disabling the status bar.
https://forum.telus.com/t5/Ideas/Annoying-time-remaining-display-every-time-you-change-the/idi-p/102...

It's marked as duplicate but I haven't been able to find the duplicate post.

It's the one and only Optik feature that I truly hate. I use the Prev button a lot for switching between sports and the status bar either hides the score or hides where the action is (hockey). So annoying to have to hit Exit every time as well. It's never good UI design when it doubles the button presses required to accomplish what I want and it's needed frequently.

canuck617
Friendly Neighbour

Hit the exit button, the bar will no longer show.

Best option would be to have a user on off switch in the settings. All of these systems all have on off switched to turn off or on onscreen options. It is just a question of getting whomever to give the user that option.

@canuck617 wrote:

Hit the exit button, the bar will no longer show.

Yes, that's what I do. It doubles the number of button presses I need to do to flip back and forth between programs. 

@canuck617 wrote:

Best option would be to have a user on off switch in the settings. All of these systems all have on off switched to turn off or on onscreen options. It is just a question of getting whomever to give the user that option.

That is exactly what is requested in the Idea post.

canuck617
Friendly Neighbour

I see, well, first thing I am going to say to that is, hard life that you have to press a button twice. If your that hard pressed maybe buy an older tv with picture in picture, or just get another monitor, or just record one of them and watch it after, then you can fast forward thru all the ads, it'll take that much less time to watch.

@canuck617 wrote:

I see, well, first thing I am going to say to that is, hard life that you have to press a button twice. If your that hard pressed maybe buy an older tv with picture in picture, or just get another monitor, or just record one of them and watch it after, then you can fast forward thru all the ads, it'll take that much less time to watch.

LOL, true. We live a hard life if we complain about any of the Optik features, including missing episode information.

xray
Hero

Adding the episode info is a good suggestion. It should be posted in the Idea section.

canuck617
Friendly Neighbour

To get back on topic..,

I called, on the phone, a rep at telus, and got utterly nowhere with it, to which I asked that I would like an actual engineer to get back to me in order to discuss, that was months ago and I still have not got a reply or at the very least an email message in regards to it.

What is even more what is going on, is that nobody from telus monitors this forum, no reps, no tech, no engineers, no managers, nobody from telus has responded to this issue. Really pathetic.

I know there are other issues going on with the world, but those are handled at places other than this, in this forum this is where issues with telus optic are to be discussed, or just ignored if one works for telus.

If anyone at telus does read this, how about a response..?

canuck617
Friendly Neighbour

This is a question as to why the season and episode numbers are NOT included in the information on the guide?

As an example: Pawn Stars S18E17 Atomic Pawn 10/May/2021 (which was shown last night Tuesday Oct 5-2021 here in Canada)

This seems to me a basic, extremely simple idea that the ENTIRE world uses when describing information about each program. Go to any, literally any website that gives information about TV shows, like IMDB, TMDB and TVDB and every single one of them will list the season and the episode number, as well as the show title in the description of it.

So why in the world is that information NOT included in the telus on screen TV guide?

When program providers give information to cable tv providers, that specific information IS included with the information packet for each TV program, and I know this as to be a fact as I asked about it from a program provider and they told me that the season and episode numbers are included when they give that information to the companies that update guide information (shaw as example uses and outside company to update it's guide information).

So my question again, what is the reason why that information not included in the telus on screen TV guide? It sure is a whole lot easier to recall which season and episode number one has watched, as opposed to what could be a lengthy title and broadcast date.

Seems to me that this information isn't included because someone has decided that it is not needed? or that it costs to much money to include that information, if one is paying per letter or per word to add that information to the guide? Or it's just pure laziness from whomever sits and types in that information, and they just don't want to..?

I think that it is time to address this GLARING FAILURE and add this information to the telus on screen TV guide.

Getting tired of going searching the webpages to compare what it shown in the guide, to what the rest of the world uses, to see if I have watched something or not.

..and NO, the recording function to record only new episodes, does not mean that it is actually new to the viewer. Which opens another can of worms, why is it not included in the description as "new" or "repeat"? Shaw has no problem including that information, as well as the season and episode number.

Seems like an easy fix, so what are you waiting for..

canuck617
Friendly Neighbour
Why in gods name would you merge these two?

I put one in the suggestion forum as to have someone from you company look at it and god forbid maybe someone from your company reply to the content of it, but the only thing you do is remove it from the suggestion forum? Why?!

I think it time to go back to shaw, at least there they reply to inquiries and give responses to messages left on their forums, as well as fix things as needed.

Your company does none of that.

Virus-free. www.avg.com