cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble getting Telus 4K box (VIP5662W) to connect to anything wired except T3200M Telus mod/router

Jaydub
Just Moved In

I've recently made the move to get rid of the Telus wifi mesh hardware and replace it with the Google Nest Home wifi. I've portbridged the Telus modem/router (T3200M) as recommended by Google so that their router wouldn't compete with the router within the T3200M. I then fed the port 1 LAN line from the T3200M into the WAN of the Google router, and the LAN output from the Google router into a gigabit network switch. I was then hoping to feed the wired ports in my house with the internet from this network switch. The internet appears to be working fine, but I cannot get the Telus 4K box to work from the feed from the network switch! It DOES work when I use one of the now-available other LAN ports on the T3200M, but then the port in my house that I plug this into ONLY is able to power the Telus 4K set top boxes (no internet devices). Is it the case that the 4K Telus Optik TV boxes ONLY work from lines directly from their modem/router.  This would be very unfortunate...

4 REPLIES 4

rc
Rockstar

What happens when you connect the WAN port of the Google router to port 2 thru 4 of the T3200?  Does the 4k box now connect? How about testing without using the switch .

If you Google "optik tv own  router " you will find post that indicate it is possible , but the router needs to be configured appropriately.

Jaydub
Just Moved In

Thanks, once the T3200M is bridged (like it is now), there appears to be no useful internet coming from the ports 2-4. I don't know what Telus has done to this modem/router, but from what I've read (and what appears to be happening) is that if I wire the set top boxes up to any of those ports (2-4) they work just fine. The problem is that this means the line to the room where the TV's are get either an internet connection or a Telus TV box connection, but not both. Normally I would just try to use wifi for everything else, but our Sony TV (the smart features on it - Netflix, etc.) and the kid's Xbox seems to work better with a wired connection.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Few people have had success using a router other than the Telus router for Optik TV. I used the Google Mesh for a while, but ended up using the Telus Boost devices for the very reasons you discovered: running one network works more smoothly than two.

You should be getting an internet connection on ports 2 to 4 when in bridge mode. It won’t be the same network as the Google Mesh, but you should have internet.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

rc
Rockstar

Did you power fail the Google router and 4k box when you switched between  port 1 and 2?