cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus Wifi 4 K box

Timjohn
Friendly Neighbour

Hello,

I have  simple questions regarding the Telus Wifi 4 K box.  I installed it and now I have the PVR box on HDMI 1 and the Wifi box on HDMI 2.  My Sony TV isn't even close to a 4K quality picture and I am OK with it.

So what are the advantages of having this box?  I know I can't record shows.  The PVR needs to be hooked up in order to do this but the only advantage I can see so far is that it makes everything snappier.  Faster channel changing etc.

Does this increase my data usage?

Thanks Timothy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Kalidgh
Advisor

If your TV isn't 4K it defaults to 1080 ( HD )   your good to go 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Kalidgh
Advisor

If your TV isn't 4K it defaults to 1080 ( HD )   your good to go 

Timjohn
Friendly Neighbour

Just wondering also does this use more of my data plan being WIFI?

Timjohn
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks. Timothy

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

No, it doesn’t increase your data consumption.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

xray
Hero

@Timjohn wrote:

I have  simple questions regarding the Telus Wifi 4 K box.  I installed it and now I have the PVR box on HDMI 1 and the Wifi box on HDMI 2.

I'm confused about the above statement. Do you have 2 Optik boxes connected to the same TV, one on HDMI 1 and another on HDMI 2?

Timjohn
Friendly Neighbour

Yes I do.  Honestly, I was confused too!  Telus offered the Wifi 4K box and I took them up on their offer thinking its an upgrade from my older unit.  So once I got it, I followed the instructions and got the Wifi 4 K to work just fine.  

This was until I tried to record.  

The message I got was I have to power up my PVR and recording was not possible without it.  I had removed the old box thinking I didn't need it.  So once I re-installed it (HDMI cable, power and signal cable from Telus router) the recording function returned.  I am assuming the Wifi box does not have a "hard drive" for storing recordings.  

The good thing, is everything is working OK.  I may have a weird setup with the 2 Optik boxes, but I really wanted the recording ability.  Advise is appreciated.

If your TV is not 4K there is no reason to have the 4K Optik box connected to it unless you are interested in using the YouTube app which only works on the 4K models.

Is the PVR 4K as well? What is the model number?

Timjohn
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks...I agree.  My TV is an older Sony Bravia and not 4K.  I guess I got talked into it.  The PVR is a CISCO unit (ISB7150 labelled on the front) and I couldn't find a model number.  Just a serial number.  The PVR is not 4K.

I think the only advantage is it does change the channels faster.  Maybe its future proofing for the next TV I get.  Otherwise I probably could just unplug it.

Timothy

I agree, no need to run 2 Optik boxes with only 1 TV. If/when you get a 4K TV you should consider replacing the CISCO PVR with a 4K PVR.