cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus 4K digital boxes - Ethemet only

clint0r
Just Moved In

Hi there,

I've had some conflicting information come from Telus online chat and just wanting to verify the following configuration for a Telus 4K PVR/digital box setup.  I work in IT so my configuration is a probably somewhat unique compared to the masses.

I currently have Pure Fiber 150/150.

I have a SonicWALL UTM/router at the edge of my infrastructure.

Network switches control my infrastructure, multiple Ethernet runs to each TV location.

I moved to a commercial wireless solution a few years back and do not use Telus's router.  The only Telus equipment I have connected is the modem.

I wanted to confirm the following:

1 - Telus 4K Digital boxes _can_ be wired with Ethernet.  Wireless will automatically be disabled in this scenario?

2 - If everything is wired, I do not need to install Telus's wireless solution and can continue to use my SonicWALL?

3 - Does TV reserve a portion of my 150Mb solution or is it separate from that?  I'm curious if TV would be impacted by Internet downloads that can max the allocated bandwidth.

Thanks

Cheers

cp

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
  1. According to this document, the additional devices can be connected with Ethernet.
  2. If all is Ethernet connected, you should not need Telus Wi-Fi, but any hardware you use needs to support multicast.
  3. If on Fibre, your TV data is streamed separately. One of the ‘future-proof’ aspects of Fibre.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
  1. According to this document, the additional devices can be connected with Ethernet.
  2. If all is Ethernet connected, you should not need Telus Wi-Fi, but any hardware you use needs to support multicast.
  3. If on Fibre, your TV data is streamed separately. One of the ‘future-proof’ aspects of Fibre.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"