Strange sound - reset/high pitched squeak

Highlighted
Neighbour

I have Telus internet, Optik TV and home phone.

When I am watching TV, there is an intermittent strange sound occurring among the boxes.  It seems to occur when the PVR is recording, and sounds like a system reset accompanied by a high pitched squeak.  This is really annoying. 

Please can anyone tell me what this is and how to fix it.

This has been going on for a few years now, and I finally decided to do something about it.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Guardian

Yes, if the PVR is making strange noises then it's a sign that there will be a hardware failure sometime in the future. Contact TELUS for a replacement.

Note that you will loose all your recordings because it's not possible to transfer them to the new PVR. Watch all your recorded shows now.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Guardian
Are you saying all the Optik boxes make this noise it just the PVR? If it's just the PVR then it might be the hard drive failing.
Highlighted
Neighbour

I don't know which of the boxes it is.

Highlighted
Guardian
What is the model number of the box that makes the noise? There should be a label on the front.
Highlighted
Neighbour

I tracked down the sound to the Telus Cisco Router. I think the model number is IPV6015.

Curiously, the sound seems to happen around 5:00 p.m..

Highlighted
Guardian

That's not a router, that's your PVR. It has a hard drive to save your recordings which is likely what's making ht noise since that's the only moving part in the box.

The regular occurance at 5:00 PM is rather puzzling. Do you have any series recoding scheduled on the PVR? Perhaps it correlates to when it need to record a show. I believe the hard drive may go to sleep to save energy when you are not watching or recording.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Actually it is anywhere from around 4 to 8 p.m.  ....very strange.

The only thing I can think of is that it seems to happen when I am watching Netflix and the recorder is recording a TV program.

Do you think I should ask Telus to change out the PVR?

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Guardian

Yes, if the PVR is making strange noises then it's a sign that there will be a hardware failure sometime in the future. Contact TELUS for a replacement.

Note that you will loose all your recordings because it's not possible to transfer them to the new PVR. Watch all your recorded shows now.

View solution in original post